I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

shipping damage
Posted by: John Sansevera (---.hsd1.ny.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2021 08:40AM

When you think you've taken the right steps to ship out a newly built rod, it arrives broken. Shipped a beautiful 13 1/2 ft float rod last week. Even went through the trouble finding 3 inch pvc pipe, bubble wrapped it, used pvc end caps, one end cemented on the other on with gorilla tape. Sent it through USPS , arrived on time. looks like someone used it as a crow bar or wrestled it out of a tight place. Tube had a bad kink in it and the bottom section had 2 flattened guides and the section itself was broken in half. Weirdest thing is the top section is totally untouched , no bent guides and not a scratch .Guess it was more flexible cause it didn't break.
Guess next time i'll have to use schedule 40 PVC and pay a higher shipping rate because of the weight. At least I insured it , now to go through the process with the post office to collect. I'm sure this is going to be a project in itself.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: shipping damage
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 11, 2021 12:44PM

John,
1. You did insure the rod for at least the cost that the client will pay for the rod?

2. Thin Wall pvc is just fine for shipping rods. If a thin wall gets crushed in a conveyor it iw quite likely that the schedule 40 or the schedule 80 will be crushed as well.

Best wishes

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 11, 2021 03:18PM

Another option for shipping is Southwest Cargo. The client will have to pick up at the airport though. I think it is animals that handle our packages sometimes. Just about any long package with rods or blanks in it will arrive with some type of damage.

Posted by: John Sansevera (---.hsd1.ny.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2021 10:18PM

Roger, yes I insured it for the full price of the rod.
When I get this next one finished I'm delivering it by hand out in Ohio. Meeting up with him for some steelhead fishing.
People just don't care and the post office has been a nightmare this past year.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 12, 2021 12:44AM

John (and others),
When shipping anything, “ship happens “. I am not attempting to defend USPS or any other carrier for that matter. But the long yet skinny dimensions of rods/blanks being shipped are certainly more prone to damage than the typically-dimensional packages. Yes, agreed, anything shipped should arrive in-tact, but again, “ship happens”. I feel it has more to do with automation than careless personal handling; Roger is probably correct in that even schedule 80 PVC might not have survived automated handling in this case. Shipping “is what it is” and all we can do is adequately insure the package to minimize the impact if and when “ship happens”. Consider not purchasing a Lotto ticket this week.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 12, 2021 12:46PM

On shipping a rod that you made , make sure to cover's the whole rod , not just the cost of the bits an blank as your ""TIME AN LABOR "" is worth some thing , as stated before "" SHIP "" happen's all the time
for the most part the carries do a good job at doing it , as I see it ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 14, 2021 07:48PM

John,

I've had two rods (only two, thankfully) damaged during shipment. FedEx killed the first one, Southwest Air (not Cargo) broke the tip on the other one when I used it as checked baggage during a flight. Both were shipped in Schedule 40 PVC and it was obvious that they had been damaged by a conveyor. The FedEx rod was insured for retail value, the price of which covered my materials and labor adequately. Southwest Air would have covered the damage to the tip on #2, but I didn't file a claim in time, which was my oversight. Since then I've been lucky not to have any damage to shipped rods. I always use either PVC; usually Schedule 40, but have also used the heavy 1/2" thick cardboard tubing that manufacturers often use if I can get my hands on it. I also mark it heavily with a wide tip felt pen as "FRAGILE- GLASS- DO NOT CONVEY" on both sides of the tube. I don't know if it really helps, but I haven't had any problems since. And I refuse to ship anything USPS.

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster