I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alps Chuck in Renzetti Lathe
Posted by: Tony Fernandez (---)
Date: March 09, 2021 09:36PM

Does anybody know if the Alps upgraded chuck would fit on a Renzetti lathe? I really like my Renzetti, but would like to replace its chuck with the one from Alps which has the rubber jaws. The Alps is also easier to tighten by hand since it has serrated edges and provides a better grip.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alps Chuck in Renzetti Lathe
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 09, 2021 10:50PM

Tony,

The Renzetti uses a 3- jaw - 3 inch chuck manufactured by Taig industries. This chuck uses a 3/4 inch by 16 threads per inch.

The Alps improved chuck uses a head stock that looks very much like the Taig Head stock. The appearance of the improved chuck is similar to the design of the Taig head stock, so it is certainly possible that the threads are the same. However, I don't have a head stock or chuck in front of me to confirm the thoughts.

If the Alps improved chuck uses a 3/4 x16 thread - the chuck will fit onto a Renzetti wrapper.

The Renzetti chuck employs a Johnny bar or a rod that is 1/8th inch in diameter. If you keep the rod close to the chuck, and use it when making the chuck tight, it makes the chore very quick and easy. Note: depending on the chuck, the bar hole may be smaller or larger than 1/8th of an inch. I use piano wire of the correct diameter to create a tightening bar/rod and keep it right next to the chuck, so that it is close at hand and quick to use.

----------------------------
By the way - with respect to the Renzetti chuck.
A couple of thoughts.
I have improved the performance of the chuck by purchasing an additional set of soft aluminum jaws from Taig Industries. Then, I have had one end of the jaws machined to match the curvature of the typical 1" diameter of a rod butt. The much larger area of the face of the jaw, lends for a better grip with minimal pressure. In addition, I apply a couple of layers of masking tape to the face of the jaws to both cushion the jaws to avoid marring the grip of the rod and to also apply a better gripping force to the butt of the rod.

Note the modifications in the chuck that I use when wrapping:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.cartertools.com]

Part # 1051 in the catalog:
[www.cartertools.com]

Best wishes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2021 10:57PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Allan Gadia (---.alliedtelecom.net)
Date: March 10, 2021 11:03AM

I don't have a Renzetti but I do have a Taig and an Alps improved chuck.

Both my Taig chuck and the Alps use 3/4-16 threads however, one is left hand thread and one is right.

Posted by: Tony Fernandez (---)
Date: March 11, 2021 09:51AM

Thanks for the help. I'll look into the jaws from Taig.

Date: March 11, 2021 12:46PM

Tony,
Remember, if you are going to machine the jaws, each jaw needs to be identical to the two other jaws.

Best wishes

Date: January 12, 2023 07:27PM

Tony,
Did you find the chuck jaws to use on your power wrapper chuck?

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster