I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

To trigger, or not?
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 08, 2021 10:23AM

I am getting ready to order a real seat for my United Composites GUSA-79Mega build. It will be used for mostly Lingcod and a little for Albacore. I might even try tossing some bigger largemouth bass swimbaits with it. I’ve got level and non-level wind reel options. I’m considering an Alps Aluminum Trigger reel seat. I’ll be casting with the rod some and find the security of a trigger to be reassuring on a long day with fatigued hands and wrists.

I’ve not seen or owned a saltwater rod with a triggered reel seat. Is there a function that this feature could interfere with? I probably won’t troll with this rod. I don’t want to mess up its use by missing something. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: To trigger, or not?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2021 10:46AM

In the past, many saltwater rods simply didn't have trigger seats. At least part of that was because trigger seats weren't made in the larger sizes need to fit over some of those large diameter saltwater blanks.

Only considerations I'd look at that might preclude using a trigger seat would be rod holders (will it fit properly) seat clamps, etc. Otherwise if you like a trigger, it's your rod. You can always cut the trigger off later if is interferes with anything.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: March 08, 2021 10:50AM

Kendall,

This is definitely a personal preference. I imagine you will be casting things like spoons/ buzz bombs as well as your swimbaits. I have cast buzz bombs and other shore fishing lures for salmon/cod without a trigger. To me a trigger isn't extremely necessary because you are typically casting with both hands on the rod so there is some reinforcement there. On the flip side it would be nice to control the twist with the heavy reel on top. The trigger doesn't automatically count it out as a trolling rod either. As long as your rod holder has an opening in the bottom and there is clearance to the boat the trigger will seat in that opening. Since you have to angle the rod up to remove from the holder it clears the triggers with no worries. The trigger in that situation would be there but you would not use it because your hand is not typically on the reel seat when fighting a fish caught trolling/down-rigging. I personally pull the rod out by the fore-grip and keep it there.

To me the trigger on rods is more for retrieve/presentation than the cast. Typically when fishing for something akin to bass or other inshore/freshwater fish you are working the rod and reeling the slack or doing both at the same time. The handle length is generally shorter so the arm that holds the rod bares the majority of the load. When casting a spoon or jigging you are not typically keeping a hand on the reel. If I am the butt of the rod is planted into my belt line most of the time so that my reel hand is not supporting anything. If it is a dedicated vertical jigging blank like I would use for rock or Lingcod then I prefer a handle that goes past my elbow so when I jig up the rod is leveraged against my whole arm. I will temporarily jig with one hand if I have a beverage in the other.

Sincerely,
Aaron

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 08, 2021 11:48AM

There is also the palm trigger reel seat option, a bit of assurance with something against your hand and at the same time not having anything that may crowd your hand with a larger reel installed. Just remember no matter what seat you get it has to fit your reel, sizing only to the blank can decrease your reel options unnecessarily.

Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---)
Date: March 08, 2021 06:47PM

I use Fuji's palming trigger grip on my tuna jig rods. The seat is larger and moves the trigger toward the rear of the reel seat so that your entire hand can rest in front of the trigger. This allows you to palm the side of the reel while jigging . I find the reel seats very comfortable. However, if you are going to use a reel where you want/need to use a rod clamp, doing so would certainly defeat the purpose of the palming reel seat.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: March 08, 2021 08:56PM

I used the alps aluminum reel seat for my Swimbait rod and couldn’t be happier. Never once have I miss having a trigger. I also did a spiral wrap so that might help with any twist.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: March 08, 2021 08:58PM

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 09, 2021 10:59AM

Nice looking rod Michael..i use DPS pipe seats for fly, spin and casting..tennessee style a lot too..no triggers anymore..

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 09, 2021 12:52PM

I have what Daniel mentioned. I like it.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 09, 2021 11:38PM

Thanks everyone. I had forgotten about the saltwater sized Fuji palming seat with the trigger. I spent too much time electro-fishing mountain streams as a biologist. It may sound like fun, but it is very hard on a person’s shoulders, elbows, and wrists. Most people who do this a lot end up with surgeries. When fatigued, my grasp can involuntary release some in fast twitch situations, like casting. I’ll definitely go with a trigger on this rod without any further doubt about function.

Posted by: Stan Vogel (---)
Date: March 17, 2021 09:18AM

For specks and reds I like a trigger, just like a bass rod with a levelwind.

Posted by: Stan Vogel (---)
Date: March 17, 2021 09:18AM

For specks and reds I like a trigger, just like a bass rod with a levelwind.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster