I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

exposed reel seat and NFC X-Ray texture
Posted by: Darwin Wong (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 06, 2021 04:28PM

Building on my first x-ray blank. Has anyone had comfort issues with the ridged texture when using an exposed reel seat like a Fuji ECSM? I see a lot of premade inserts won't fit the diameter of the blank. Just curious reel seats most folks are using. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: exposed reel seat and NFC X-Ray texture
Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 06, 2021 04:47PM

I've built an SJ736 and an MB736 with the ECS seat and the texture doesn't bother me at all. Then again I probably wouldn't have considered anything else as the ECS is my favorite casting seat and I haven't built with a different seat yet.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 06, 2021 04:56PM

The ridges are just the thickness of the cellophane tape applied to the blank while it baked nothing to be concerned with while building the blank.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 06, 2021 06:05PM

Should not be a problem at all. However, It you think the ridges would bother you just knock them down with with a wet dry sand paper, 800 to 1000 grit is fine, or steel wool. The ridges are just epoxy resin from the prepeg carbon fiber squeezed out by the cellophane wrap.They sand away quite easily.
Norm

Posted by: Darwin Wong (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 07, 2021 07:37AM

Thanks everyone. Yah I’m bit biased to ecsm seats too. Great I’ll go with that and at least have the option to knock them down if really required!

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: March 07, 2021 07:59AM

I’ve built on two of the delta blanks and they also have the un-sanded finish. I sanded them smooth using fine sandpaper and steal wool. The un-sanded blank is being used by many of the large rod manufacturers. I was checking out a Megabass Levante casting rod and it transitions from a glossy painted section at the handle to the unfinished blank a 30:70 split. I has a really cool affect.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 07, 2021 02:44PM

The grooves are maybe a sheet or two of notebook paper thick at the most. The ceophane tape used on the blanks isn't very substantial.

Posted by: Jason Haney (---.mountainresearch.com)
Date: March 10, 2021 07:58AM

I built an MB 703-1 (Delta LMX) which seemed to have more pronounced ridges than my X-Ray NEO. I had an exposed reel seat on it (size 16 Fuji ACS I believe) it and never had any issues with discomfort or the ridges rubbing my fingers raw. I was using it for big squarebills and heavy spinnerbaits so I was casting and winding a lot. No issues, never sanded.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster