I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Deep crankbait blank
Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 06, 2021 02:10PM

I'm looking for a blank to build a deep crankbait casting rod for bass. Looking to throw baits like a rapala DT14-16, but probably not huge baits like the xd8 or 10. I prefer a graphite blank and would like the blank to be as light in weight as possible while still handling the above baits. Somewhere between 7' and 7'6" I am fine with adjusting length if I need to. The Bushido blanks have caught my eye, but not sure if the CB72/10-20 or CB72/12-25 would be better suited to these baits. I want to have enough power for the intermediate-deep lures above, but don't want a club for giant lures. Thanks for any thoughts on these blanks or any other suggestions you may have.

Peter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Deep crankbait blank
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 07, 2021 08:01AM

I can 't comment on the Bushido blanks, but you could take a look at the Rainshadow Revelation crankbait blanks. I built a rod on an RX-7 (Revelation is the updated series) CB66MH blank that I use for throwing 1.5 and 2.0 squarebills, and it's great. They're all graphite so sensitivity is good. They're light and the medium heavy and heavy power blanks have a mod fast action, which I prefer.

For the baits you're speaking of I'd probably be looking at the REVCB70H, or the REVCB76H. I'm pretty sure you'd be very happy with either one.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 07, 2021 08:45AM

I prefer and use Batson's (RX 8 popping blanks) for cranking!
For every thing from square bills to deep diving cranks

They have more of a parabolic action, providing some forgiveness for treble hooked baits.
While maintaining the sensitivity and lighter weights of higher grade graphite

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: March 07, 2021 09:36AM

I’ve only heard good things about the bushido blanks but haven’t used one yet. If I had to choose between the 7’2” MH or the H i’d pick the MH for DD16’s. These cranks weigh in at 3/4oz and according to the blank ratings either would handle the lure with ease. Choosing the MH for me would reduce some weight and probably have slightly more “whip” to the tip for launching baits further. The softer tip would also allow the bait to move more erratically on the retrieve allowing it to bounce off objects and have some give to it when the lure hits rock and/or sticks on the lake bottom in-turn keeping the bait from hanging up... as often.

One thing I like on longer rods (7’6”+) is for the handle to be long enough to sit between my bicep and ribs so that I can rest it on the retrieve. I wouldn’t think a 7’2” rod would need this as much as a 7’8” rod. For me, a 12” rear grip is the minimum.

Hope this help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2021 10:05PM by Michael Tarr.

Posted by: Alex Funke (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 08, 2021 10:28AM

I throw the DT14s and 16s on the cb78/10-20. It's got the perfect parabolic bend when they eat it and has enough back bone to launch a 6xd as well. With he bushidos you can cut them down to the 7'6 if you need to, but i think its perfect at that length. I do know some guys are using the MB78/12-20 for baits up too a DT-22, i bet if you cut that one down to the 7'6" it would be pretty close as well.

-Alex Funke

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 08, 2021 10:38AM

The Bushido blanks are outstanding! While I have not fished your specific application (not a Bass fisherman) I have several rods built on Bushido blanks and have absolutely no issues with them. I also love the Amereican Tackle Matrix blanks, with their reinforced butt sections. Can't go wrong with either one!

Posted by: Douglas Respress (172.77.74.---)
Date: March 08, 2021 12:09PM

For deep cranking I use the Bushido CB78/10-20. If you are wanting a shorter blank I would recommend the CB72/10-20. You can’t go wrong with either blanks.

Posted by: Ancelmo Fernandez (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 08, 2021 05:55PM

The Bushido CB78/10-20 is perfect for my lipless crank baits and my deep diving cranks. I feel like this rod can still sling lighter baits and sill pop it out of the grass without so much effort. I find my self reaching for my CB78/10-20 more and more often for my cranking applications.

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 08, 2021 08:30PM

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I will giving the the CB78/10-20 a try. Appreciate the rainshadow advice as well, I've built several rods on their blanks and agree that they are very high quality. Guess I will give a different brand a try, and if the Bushido doesn't do what I will have to build something else. Oh darn.

Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: March 10, 2021 03:48PM

You will not be disappointed with the Bushido. I built one for this very purpose and it's flawless. So much fun!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster