I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

home made telescopic rod
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 03, 2021 05:42PM

I have made a few so far from fiberglass(it,s cheaper than messing up a graphite rod lol.) but the ferrules stiffen up the rod too much..i wonder how short i can go with the ferrule to get a less stiffer rod and not damage the ferrule when loaded..i know the ferrules near the butt will be the longest because of a greater load and shorter near the tip end..i just don,t have a feel for how long or how short..your thoughts will be much appreciated..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: home made telescopic rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2021 05:53PM

Here's a tidbit for you - every multi-piece St. Croix rod in the freshwater line uses ferrules with a 2-inch overlap. Doesn't matter if the ferrule is on the butt or the tip on a 3 or 4 piece rod. Every ferrule has a 2 inch overlap. There is more to the story but it's not necessarily relevant here.

Granted, the material, diameter, blank type, etc., all play a role. But for what you're doing, a 2-inch overlap should be sufficient in all cases. It may be a bit overkill in some cases, but in almost instance will it be too little. I assume we're talking about general freshwater rods here.

Date: March 03, 2021 07:51PM

OK! great..Thanks Tom..i,m cutting up a 7 foot rod and getting a five piecer about 52" long..when i put the four guides on the ferrules, they are about nine inches apart...i would like to get them closer but that makes the rod even stiffer..two inch overlaps is better than the three and four i,m now using..i have just one seven foot light power blank left but will order a few more..i,m going to try two inch overlaps for the two butt sections and one and a half inches on the two tip sections maybe one inch on the last tip section instead of one and a half..a rod like this will make walking and fishing brushy banks a little easier..i also would like to use a bow and arrow cast but i,m not sure how well the ferrules will hold up to that much flex..Thanks again Tom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2021 01:43PM by ben belote.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2021 07:54PM

Right, you don't need that much overlap. 2 inches should work fine for you.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 03, 2021 08:14PM

Ben,
Are these truly telescopic where each section is completely concealed within the next larger section? Are you simply cutting the blank into sections which fit inside the next section? If you are looking to produce a multi-piece rod, check out my flexible tubular, tapered, FG CARL ferrules. They impose less than 1% difference between the original one-piece blank and after cut. The process has been slightly modified since the article was written so talk to me if interested.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: March 04, 2021 12:04PM

Hi Mark, yes these are true telescopic rods..the thing i like about tele rods is the ease of set up..i just pull out the tip section and they all come out then i just snug up each section at the ferrule and go fish..it,s impossible to lose or misplace any sections or crush any disassembled ferrules but on the minus side is guide placement..guides must be plaeced on the ferrule for the rod to collapse and the number of guides is limited to the number of ferrules..but the thing still catches fish..it,s a pack rod and does it well enough for me.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 04, 2021 12:43PM

Both Fuji and SeaGuide do make guides for telescoping rods. Don’t know if you can get them in the US.
[www.fujitackle.eu]
Norm

Date: March 04, 2021 01:01PM

Thanks Norm..i,ve seen those before and gave them some thought but i have to make a reinforcing wrap on the ferrule anyway so it,s no problem slipping a lower profile guide in there too.

Posted by: Wade Christensen (165.225.10.---)
Date: March 04, 2021 05:28PM

Please send me your process and any pictures you have. I am very interested in doing this.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 05, 2021 12:03AM

Ben,
I, too, have been and am intrigued with the possibilities of a telescopic rod but have not discovered a method which appeals to me; mostly due to restricted guide placement. I am interested in seeing what you have accomplished thus far, if you care to divulge such.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: March 05, 2021 11:36AM

Hi Wade and Mark..several years ago i got interested in tenkara and made a poor man,s version by using a Cabelas 10' telescopic pan fish pole...it slayed bluegill..then i thought why not put some guides on thefurrels which were only ten inches apart..i dropped two butt sections, added a reel seat,etc. and had teleccopic four weight fly rod and caught even more bluegill..lol..by dropping some of the one foot sections iwas able to build some telescopic spin or cast rods also just from that little panfish pole..i fished from a kickboat at that time and could put all my rods into the pouches and have to make only one trip from car to water..then cabelas quit selling that particular rod and i have not found a replaceent..i decided to make a teley rod from a one piece rod..so far things are not looking good..i decided to use glass because it,s cheaper..i started with a seven foot one piece light power rod to see what comes out..i ended up with a fifty two inch rod that was just too stiff even with just two inch overlapping sections..i enjoy short glass rods for farm pond fishing and making bow and arrow rods but these were too stiff because of all the trimming to get the sections to fit..if you want a short powerful teley rod, this works..you can build from the butt to tip or from the tip to butt..butt to tip is a little less stiff but not by much..for example from tip to but start by trimming one foot off the tip off the 7' donor blank and inserting the one foot tip into the shortened 7' foot donor blank..it will overlap too much so you have to trim the former 7' blank to get a 2" overlap..now measure and cut another one foot piece off the donor blank that ovrlaped the tip section..you now have made the tip section and the one following it..now slide the second secton you just made into the long donor section creating another overlap that has to be trimmed to get a 2" overlap..just keep repeating these steps to the butt of the donor..yea, it,s real easy to screw up..lol..OH! and good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster