I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dryer wheel carrier
Posted by: Michael Friddle (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2021 11:53AM

Where can I buy wheels to support the rod while on the dryer? I'm trying to build one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dryer wheel carrier
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: March 01, 2021 01:53PM

You don't need a stand with rollers for drying. I use a piece of Teflon with a "V" cut into it and stick it into the end of a 1/2 inch tube and stick the tube in a 2 x 4 block. You can e-mail me for details.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2021 03:21PM

I bought urethane roller skate wheels for mine.

Date: March 01, 2021 03:22PM

I am looking for wheels. Thanks

Date: March 01, 2021 03:23PM

It seems most people are making them with a 3D printer.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 01, 2021 06:20PM

Roller skate wheels and sliding door rollers seem to be the most popular and easy solutions.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 01, 2021 06:44PM

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 01, 2021 07:29PM

Michael,
Look for shower or patio door rollers/wheels; many come with a groove to accept a raised “bead” in the bottom track which is ideal for installing a proper diameter O-ring (silicone is more expensive but well worth it). Check-out McMaster Carr = great products, service, shipping!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: March 02, 2021 02:34AM

Most hardware stores carry sliding door rollers, they work great, built several dryers for customers and students.

Date: March 02, 2021 06:15AM

Thanks for the help.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: March 02, 2021 12:52PM

Overlapping shower door roller-wheels (on two different axles) work well. They have a grooved circumference into which a neoprene O-ring fits nicely and they cradle the blank without leaving a trace.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 02, 2021 09:50PM

A simple V in a wooden stand lined with felt works fine. Never had a malfunction, never had a mark on a blank. Like John said in the first response.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 02, 2021 10:32PM

I built a bunch of these wood rod rests with felt liners and used for some years, before giving to some other builders in need:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

By using a vertical slot design, the rod did not try to climb out of the notch as is sometimes the case with a v block - with a shallow V design.

------------------------
However, I will say that I prefer a 3 wheel rod rest design, because there is 0 friction and the 3rd wheel over the top of the rod, keeps the rod contained during the rods time on the wrapper.

----------------------
This is a picture of one of the two wheel rod rests that I made with a heavy steel base to keep the rest from moving, and surplus plastic wheels and O rings in the groove on the wheels. The wheels came from a miniature block and tackle that I paid a few cents for each one.
I think that each rod rest cost me about 75 cents.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2021 10:57PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 05, 2021 01:05AM

I use the homemade wooden V rod supports as well and used felt to protect the blank at first but scrapped the felt in favor of peel and stick foam sheets because I also used the wooden V blocks for hand wrapping blanks and drying blanks and I found the felt attracted static electricity and DUST that landed on my finish so no more felt.

If you have a chuck that runs true and you make sure your blank is perfectly level the rod blank will never pop up from those V support's and by habit I always stretch a rubber band over the top anyway to make sure. Now if I had a choice between wheels and a V block I'll take the wheels but I was in a rush .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster