I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Logo critique
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 26, 2021 07:52AM

Below is a logo that I am working on to add to my builds. I havent done anything with business related paperwork so this isnt to be trademarked or anything. Lemme know what you think.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Logo critique
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2021 09:32AM

Only thing I would say is that you need to be mindful of how easily any logo can be added to a rod without it becoming hard to read, difficult to view, etc. You have to remember the medium it will be presented upon is round and depending on the type rods you build, may be very small in diameter.

Date: February 26, 2021 09:58AM

Thanks Tom. If it gets too small, ill probably just use the name and not the pic itself. I think it will be fine with larger diameter rods as it is. I have a horizontal version that has the pic then the words after it. Getting some of the water transfer paper to print them.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: February 26, 2021 10:56AM

Think Horizontal. Move the KCB to the left of the art, put Customs to the right of the art to make the whole thing viewable on the rod. I would also consider increasing the angle on the rods behind the skull to make the art "flatter" so the rod tips don't disappear as they wrap around the rod. JMO.

Date: February 26, 2021 11:27AM

Thanks Jim. I think splitting it up as you suggest will make it 'flow' better. Looks like i got a little work to do...

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: February 26, 2021 12:01PM

See what bending the rods and straightening out the fishing lines looks like. That'll narrow up the whole logo a good bit. Looks like a cool logo.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 26, 2021 06:18PM

Good theme, agree with Jim Ising and Tom Kirkman, you're close.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 26, 2021 06:54PM

I'm with Jim as well. Nice logo.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 26, 2021 07:56PM

Okay, I'll be the guy to say it. I don't care for the skull. To much like death. The sport is more about catch and release. We live in a "politically correct" atmosphere. I think you can come up with something that says my rods are bad ass without implying death.

Don't mean to be Debbie Downer.....don't ask for my opinion if you don't want my honest answer. I think peers owe each other that level of honesty. Of course I may be way off and in the very small minority.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.212.40.162.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 26, 2021 10:08PM

Jim hit it on the head.

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: February 27, 2021 11:30AM

Hey Ken...I almost always have an opinion on things and usually not afraid to share it. That being said and you asking how others like the logo...I am in agreement with Russell. I wouldn't want it on my stuff but....I know many, many others that would love the logo. I feel you did a great job and are talented.It's just my cup of tea or coffee. It probably has something to do with age and the personality of a person. My kids, being in their 30's would think it was badass. I used to be a hard core hunter and and was disappointed not to kill something. Now I am a soft hearted grandpa and don't hunt. I saw way too much death working in an ER for way too long so death is a negative idea in my brain. I think gloomis' symbol or decal is a fish skeleton...so must be somewhat appropriate. So Ken...looks really good if you like that sort of thing and it's your rods, your ideas...do whatever you want.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 28, 2021 06:53AM

Great logo for a T-shirt, but not so much for on the rod itself, and that's because of what Tom and Jim were talking about. It's going on a round medium. I think it needs to be more linear so that all of the logo can be seen easily. without a lot of undo spinning of the rod in hand. Personally I'd try to flatten out the angle the rods are at. It would reduce the overall height. And just a thought. .... I notice both rods are casting rods. If you're going to build spinning rods maybe the logo for those could be crossed spinning rods?

I like the logo. Just think it needs a little tweaking.

Date: March 01, 2021 03:13PM

Thanks for all the input. The skull matches my personality, so thats why i chose that. I do have some other various fish ideas I can replace the skull with. Ill probably tweak it a bit more before i settle on something.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 01, 2021 06:39PM

Ken, I went back to delete my post but it was too late. Maybe it is because I work at a hospital like Todd and all that has been going on with Covid. I don't know. All I can say is I had a strong reaction.

Forgive me and go with what you think is right in your heart and for your customers.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: March 01, 2021 09:22PM

Like ^

Date: March 02, 2021 07:52AM

Russ..no worries. Custom rod building is meant to be different. I appreciate the honest feedback. If I wanted someone to say 'Its awesome, go with it' then I wouldnt have posed the question in the first place :)

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 06, 2021 09:47PM

I guess I'm in the not liking sinister dark depictions for a sport group. It really depends upon the market you are trying to serve. Being a fly rod builder, my clients would never accept that type of logo, maybe we are softies!

Date: March 09, 2021 12:56PM

After I posted the logo, I am starting to second guess it myself. I got some requests for rods where the logo wouldnt be appropriate. Back to the drawing board.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster