I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Do Fuji Guides have any foot prep?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 01, 2021 06:15PM

I have never had a Fuji guide, CC or not CC, show any sign of corrosion. Some of my rods have been used in salt. Before I got heavy into building my own rods I used "factory" rods, and can see some corrosion on some of them (which I don't use any more). I have seen corrosion on hook keepers, which say they are "stainless steel," but what grade of stainless? I no longer use "keepers" but use small guides which I'm confident in as keepers.. Or I use the REC keeper.

There are wrap techniques that can get the wrap going onto a less than ideal foot configuration, a little more trouble than having an ideal foot, but one has to decide whether they want to retain the inherent corrosion resistance of the guide, or possibly compromise it for ease of wrap.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 01, 2021 06:53PM

I prep the feet of KL-H 20,16, 10 and 8. Not likely any of my rods will see salt. By the time they show corrosion, send condolences to my family.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 07, 2021 01:37PM

In the past, like 12 years ago, I built 5 rods for myself, boys, and a friend using Fuji MN guides, gunsmoke finish, with SiC rings. These were used on long range boats in the Pacific. We were always careful to thoroughly clean all our tackle before storage because of the salt environment. Two years ago I ended up replacing the complete guide trains on three rods due to rusting of the frames around the ring. I know there are various opinions on titanium, not the least of which is the cost, but I replaced the three rusting guide trains with titanium frames, and use titanium on almost all of the saltwater stuff I'm making now. Yeah, it can be expensive, but it's not going to rust and ends up being cheaper in the long haul if you are picky about what you build, want it to go the distance without rust issues, and you factor in the time and effort taken to replace guides. And yes, I still buy a lot of Fuji guides.

Dave

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2021 04:41PM

David, IMHO this is exactly the situation to show differences in guides, wraps, preps, and epoxies.

Everyone is all about how if you rinse your rod at the end of the day. Those of us that do long range trips often have our gear soaked in salt water spray for an extended period before we can get to a fresh water rinse. Doesn't help that such trips often result in big enough fish to tax guides wraps to the point where small stress cracks start to happen and go unnoticed. That is until it is often too late.

I'm poor enough, and under value my time/labor enough, that I'll replace guides before I'll spring for titanium. I do buy some 316 SS guides though. FWIW I "used" to feel the black Fuji guides stood up better. They have changed things with the new corrosion control coatings so I don't know.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 08, 2021 03:13PM

Russell,

I've used a couple sets of the new Fuji CC guides. They're nice, but time will tell how they hold up. When prospective customers for salt water ask what guides I recommend, I show them pictures of the rusted SS guides, titanium guides, and give them the cost difference between SS and titanium. Most feel that if they have that much invested anyway, the extra for Ti with it's non-corrosive properties is worth the difference.

Dave

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster