I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Finish
Posted by: Mike Moore (---)
Date: February 25, 2021 08:38AM

I haven’t purchased any finish yet and wondering about everyone’s thoughts on which is the best
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Finish
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: February 25, 2021 09:28AM

Rod finish does not "protect" a graphite or fiberglass rod very much. Rod finish is a purely cosmetic addition which adds a tiny bit of weight to a rod blank and slightly slows its response/action.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 25, 2021 09:32AM

If you're talking about thread wrap finish, an epoxy, you'll find that different builders prefer different brands. In the end, they all do the same thing and all are "the best." Different brands simply possess slightly different use characteristics such as pot life, viscosity, etc. They all work equally well. You just have to find the one that tends to suit your application technique the best.

Posted by: Mike Moore (---)
Date: February 25, 2021 10:20AM

Thanks Tom. Yes it’s thread finish I’m asking about. Should have been more clear in my question. It’s been several years since I last built and had always used flex coat. So many new brands I was just looking for some thoughts on the nicest end product
Thanks again

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 25, 2021 11:21AM

Used properly I think the end product is really about the same. It's the characters of application in the middle that are going to differ.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 25, 2021 12:08PM

You will find that they all work , as Tom stated , most of the time what ever finish you first started building with , they will stick with , you learn one way an stick with it ,
some people will change around a little , from one make to a different one . but not many will, they just stay with what they have on there bench ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: February 25, 2021 04:51PM

Been using 2CC pumps on my Flex coat quart bottles for longer than I care to try and remember. Never seen a better method than pumps any were for me.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 25, 2021 05:04PM

You can get many opinions as to the "best," but more important than what brand you choose is your method. Most epoxy problems stem from not accurate proportion measurements. Use syringes. Period. If you don't, sooner or later you will screw up. The second most prevalent problem is probably contaminants. Be very careful not to introduce dust or silicone or oil or anything else to the wraps. You don't have to apply anything to a wrap before applying epoxy, unless you choose to use color preservative. Just keep the wrap clean and get on with it. Third is probably trying to cure it in too cold an environment. Many use heat tents if they don't have a warm place to cure it.

Check the epoxy article in the Library.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 25, 2021 06:40PM

I have used Threadmaster regular and lite and Generation IV regular viscosity and all work fantastic . The Threadmaster and Generation IV are from Andy Dear . Searching for his name in the archives will provide endless reading.

Threadmaster regular dries the quickest and has the shortest working time while Threadmaster lite dries much slower and has a longer working time . Generation IV has a very long working time and doesn't dry as fast as regular Threadmaster but dries faster than Threadmaster lite. Generation IV is said to have much better bubble release but I haven't noticed that benefit , seems to be very similar to regular Threadmaster in that regard at least to me . Others say they do see faster and more effective bubble release.

Threadmaster regular seems to produce the hardest coating once dry the Generation IV just slightly less so which I like. I also agree that if you're very familiar with a finish then it's a good idea to stick to it unless you're dissatisfied . Many like to try new things and nothing wrong with that but I don't like surprises so it's up to each individual .

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.212.40.162.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 26, 2021 10:12PM

You should have asked which is better, Ford or Chevy. Tom sized it up appropriately; they all are good if used properly, each having slightly different characteristics. I've used several over the years and come to the same conclusion. Good luck.

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: February 27, 2021 09:05AM

Mark...that's an easy question to answer....FORD! My own comment made me think. I've only been a commenter on one site so I am not positive how others work but would put money that they are all the same. Most likely there are builders on here from different parts of the world. We find something that works well for us so we are "pro" that method or product when there are many other methods and products out there than can be equally as good...possibly better in some circumstances and situations. But, many of us feel or state our way is the "best". I have made some posts on here about methods of building that have worked for me and then had another poster comment with, "by far the best way to do this is...." I usually laugh. I'm not sure there is a 'Best" way. There are only ways or products that we've found that work "best" for us. I love rodbuiling.org because it is a learning site with many very experienced people sharing their way of building rods. I love that and love to learn. Thanks to everyone for your comments and for sharing your knowledge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2021 09:21AM by Todd Andrizzi.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster