I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CRB wire dryer vs CRB rubber dryer
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 24, 2021 08:17AM

I have the CRB dryer with the rubber and Im considering getting the wire chuck version. Has anyone had any issues with the wire not holding the rod? The rubber chuck one works fine for my lighter rods but is quite a pain when I use it for my saltwater rods. Just curious if it is worth getting the wire chuck or not.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CRB wire dryer vs CRB rubber dryer
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: February 24, 2021 10:39AM

I moved from the rubber to the wire chuck and found it to be an improvement. The wire sprung chuck holds rods just fine. The best advantage to it is that it is easier to get the rod in the chuck evenly and resetting your rod in the wire chuck is much easier than in the rubber chuck. IMO it is worth it.

Posted by: John Durbin (---)
Date: February 24, 2021 11:19AM

I have the Fuji chuck and I really like it a lot, basically it is the same thing.

Date: February 24, 2021 11:25AM

Thanks. It seems like it would be an improvement. Going to get the 18 rpm version

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.net.kent.edu)
Date: February 24, 2021 02:28PM

It's a great chuck. I really like mine as well. Fuji's was a clever design when it was released. It seems the CRB line borrowed pretty heavily from Fuji's design cues.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: February 24, 2021 02:43PM

Just have to ask , what problems have you had with the rubber dryer cups. I been using them cents thy came on the market with flex coat . I can say Ive replaced a few rubber plates when needed . and have replaced 0ne motor in the last twenty years .

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 24, 2021 05:08PM

I've been using different diameter rubber butt caps that are easily interchangeable for holding the end of my blanks for drying and wrapping purposes . Fit nice and snug but that wire contraption is pretty ingenious .

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: February 24, 2021 08:37PM

I have 4 of the Fuji chucks in my dryer and they work very well and are very well built. Just make sure the chuck is well tightened to the shaft.... I went with them over the CRB ones for the same reason as mentioned above.... one was the original.... the other a copy....

Posted by: Chuck Brezen (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 25, 2021 09:51AM

The best thing about the wire chuck is that you can clamp a handle or straight on a small diameter blank. I build a lot of ice rods and they are a wonderful addition to your shop!

Chuck

><))))">….><))))">….><))))">….Just Fish

Prior Lake Rod Building Guild
Instagram @pl_rod_building_guild

Date: February 25, 2021 11:30AM

No real issues with the rubber dryers, just gets interesting when I am using a larger diameter rod. I only have one dryer currently which has been used for ultra-lights up to XH rod blanks.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 25, 2021 11:38AM

Ken,
Pick up a 2nd dryer and equip it with one of the rubber chucks that have a larger center hole and then you will no longer have issues with the larger size grips.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 25, 2021 06:49PM

CTS had a very interesting chuck design on their budget portable rod dryer .

Eddy Rod Wrapper & Dryer

[ctsfishing.com]

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: February 27, 2021 04:58PM

Can I change my rubber chuck to the wire chuck? I get a wobble problem and have still done ok but it is annoying. Does the flex coat motors accept the wire chuck? Thanks

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 28, 2021 08:40AM

Todd,
The Fuji Wire chuck uses a 1/4 inch diameter hole to slip onto the shaft of the motor.

If you have a motor with a 1/4 inch shaft - like flex coat motors - it will work fine.

If you have a motor that has a 6mm shaft (common on the small dc gear motors, you need a shim on the motor shaft to shim the shaft size out to 1/2 inch or .25 inches. I have done this in the past and I use a double wrap of .003 shim stock.

A 6mm shaft equals a .236 inch shaft. A 1/4 inch equal .250 shaft So the difference is .014 inches. If you wrap a shim around the shaft, the shim will be on all sides of the shaft. You need to come up with .014 inches, or .007 on each side of the shaft. So, if I take a piece of .003 shim stock and wrap it twice plus a touch, the shim stock fills the gap, and the chuck fits perfectly on the 6 mm shaft.

------------------------
By the way, the flex coat chucks come with different sized holes in them. If you build a variety of rod types, that require a different sized chuck, you can have a dedicated dryer for each size rod grip.

Or, rather than using a stand alone dryer, you can use your power wrapper if you have one and if you can adjust the speed down to the necessary drying speed, and use your wrapper chuck.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: February 28, 2021 10:36AM

Thanks Roger! All of my motors are flex coat. My first motor was the 18rpm with out a clutch. Then I purchased an 18rpm with a clutch. I just bought the variable speed up to 200rpm's with a clutch. I haven't used it yet but did set a rod in it to see how it turned. it was wobbly. That's why I was asking about the wire chuck. Thanks!

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2021 02:55PM

Todd

Give me a call and I will get you fixed.

512-858-7742

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster