I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

should a blank be perfectly straight
Posted by: Mike Stephens (---)
Date: February 21, 2021 11:29PM

Hey guys. I just got a new 6'6" med. fast action inshore blank. While checking it out trying to decide what exactly I want to do I was sighting down the rod and notice at about 5'4" or so from the butt end there is a subtle bend. I chucked the rod into my wrapper and turned it on the dryer motor. The bend equates to about a 5/16" wobble at the tip. The wobble is pretty much on the spine. Is this normal or would you guys want this replaced. I doubt it would affect the performance unless there is a weak spot there. Thanks for your advice and input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: should a blank be perfectly straight
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 22, 2021 01:15AM

Mike,
If you ever get a perfectly straight blank, consider yourself lucky. That being said, .312in over only 14in is border-line too much considering how advanced the manufacturing processes are these days. You have nothing to lose (except possibly return shipping) by asking the seller if you can return it for a straighter blank. It probably would not ultimately detract much from the performance, but you and/or your customer will look at that bend all day long while fishing. Of course, if it is an ultra-cheapie blank, = you get what you pay for.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: February 22, 2021 07:01AM

If the blank is going to be built into a spinning rod, putting the guides on the outside of the curve or belly of the blank will straighten the look of the rod due to their weight on that axis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2021 07:03AM by Ross Pearson.

Date: February 22, 2021 07:05AM

Thanks Mark, Its not a real expensive $95 blank but not super cheap.I think I will contact the maker and see what kind of response I get. I had just built a rod on the same model blank and that one when turning had no wobble at all. I had also just got an UL blank from Phenix so I looked down that blank and put it on the wrapper and it is straight as an arrow.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2021 09:21AM

Is this a gentle bend or curve, or a sudden crook? Most blanks have a gentle curve along their entire length. Sudden, distinct crooks may not necessarily be cause for concern but you could certainly raise an issue with quality control on such a thing.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 22, 2021 11:14AM

Mike,
Return the blank and ask for a blank that has no bends in it. You may or may not have good luck doing that.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 22, 2021 03:45PM

If we could "cherry pick" every blank we buy, but unfortunately we take our chances when we order online. I always roll mine on a flat level surface, then decide. If it won't roll, send it back and tell them you need a straight blank. If you send enough back they may take the time to actually look at it before they ship it. Good luck.

Date: February 22, 2021 04:42PM

Well I emailed the maker and they handled it perfect. They have a new blank being sent and they sent a return label for me to return the blank that is now on the way back to them. Cant ask for much better service than that.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 23, 2021 01:08PM

As long as the guides and the ferrules don't slide around during the cast a rod will cast to the same place given the same input. Capable casters instinctively compensate for crosswinds. As long as there is a steady wind (or no wind at all) a slight bend in the rod blank will not harm accuracy. The "looks" of a rod are a different matter. But to answer your question: Yes, a rod blank should be perfectly straight - but it won't be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2021 03:05PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster