I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Smooth the cork by hand
Posted by: Aaron Wilde (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: February 21, 2021 10:56PM

Heya :). I am building my 2nd ever rod and I realized a 15.5" cork was too long for my liking. So, I cut 2 inches off the son B. Beautiful work, I know :P (sarcasm). So I live in an apartment and have zero access to power tools or a lathe of any sorts. Digging around some forum posts I see a few people mention that you can use sand paper and shape the cork slowly by hand.

I was hoping some people with a bit of experience could tell me the easiest way for me to do this? Ie: What to do/what grit sand papers could I buy (Hopefully the least amount of different grits possible, as it would be probably one time use). Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smooth the cork by hand
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: February 22, 2021 12:13AM

You have a very tough wish list but not impossible.

The minimum items would be

Emery 150 180 320

Mandrel, steel or threaded rod

Plastic wire ties

Duct tape

Power hand drill preferably cordless.

You could try to borrow a drill from a friend or neighbor or you can get one from a discount store under $20.00

Mount the cork on the mandrel, chuck it in the drill. Find a place inside or out side where you could mount the drill, such as a guard rail, fence etc,and wire tie and duct tape the drill in place. Wire tie the trigger "ON" and sand away.

Another idea is to ask the apartment office if there is an on site maintenance or community room where you might be able to work.

Good Luck and Have fun

Posted by: Don Mang (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2021 06:18AM

I also live in an apartment. I just but the sandpaper on the kitchen counter, and sand in a circular motion. Keep checking to square it up.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2021 09:06AM

I shaped a handle with some sand paper and using my hands. It can be done. It must be done slowly and carefully, but it can be accomplished. I live in an apartment, too, and did this outside in the summer. I do know powered sanding of any kind in my apartment, but I've built about 20 fly and several spinning rods.

Date: February 22, 2021 09:44AM

Thanks for the replies!

Bruce Tomaselli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I shaped a handle with some sand paper and using
> my hands. It can be done. It must be done slowly
> and carefully, but it can be accomplished. I live
> in an apartment, too, and did this outside in the
> summer. I do know powered sanding of any kind in
> my apartment, but I've built about 20 fly and
> several spinning rods.

What sand paper grits did you use?

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 22, 2021 10:09AM

Aaron, Tape down a full sheet of 220 sandpaper to a flat surface. Mask off your reelseat edge. With a pencil, mark 8 (eight) equal spaced lines from end to end (like a pizza) begin sanding those lines off until you reach the level of your reelseat, then begin sanding the high spots between the marked areas to the same level.Go lightly as you can quickly destroy your grip if you over do it. You have to have a lite touch and count your strokes ( like sharpening a knife). Once you get it down to size you can cup a 1/4 sheet in your hand and do a final rounding sanding. GO SLOW AND EASY.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 22, 2021 12:19PM

Assuming you don't have power tools this is an easy way to sand and get good square end. Tape your cork to anything that has a perfect 90 -degree end. It could be something as simple as a old soup can or block of wood, whatever. The point is it will give more stability to the sanding process than just the diameter of the cork. As said above tape some 150 then 220 grit sandpaper to the counter and sand away. Just be sure that your cork grip is perfectly down the center of the can or old jar whatever. It will work and you can fine tune if you need to.

Tom

Date: February 22, 2021 08:11PM

Thank you so much for all your replies. I will get on this over the next couple days :).

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: February 23, 2021 02:05PM

Aaron,
Do yourself a favor and get yourself some "Wet or Dry" sandpaper. MMM is good - but any will do.

Herb

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 24, 2021 02:09PM

The simplest way to do it....(not for the pros) would be a multi grit sanding block. Sand the cut end in a circular motion until it is flat then chamfer the edges till you get it where you want it. Should be good for your purposes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster