I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Finish
Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: February 19, 2021 05:45PM

Need Help, So last Friday I put a coat of finish over a decal on a rod I just built, temp in the garage was around 53 so I put the little heater that mudhole sells under the tent they sell and went to bed, sometime during the night we lost power, so I got one little dimple of a sag, and the finish was still tacky as of this Wednesday so I brought it in the house. Checked it today and the finish is still tacky. Is this going to ever dry at this point or do I need to remove it somehow. Please help me with the best option at this point. Thank you in advance as always.
1. I brought the finish in the house and let it warm up and used a bottle warmer to heat it up before removing each part with syringe.
2 I mixed the finish in the house and stirred by hand completely
3. I used 1 1/2 cc of each part, only had a 3 inch section to do.
4. Finish went on as usual, no issues.
5. Finish is Gen 4

Keith Langford

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2021 06:05PM

If the rod has been inside your house with a temp of at least 70F all that time, it should not be tacky at this point. I'd give it another couple days, making sure the area where the rod resides is indeed 70F.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2021 06:07PM

If it is not cured by now, it won't! Most likely either, not mixed thoroughly, not equal parts resin & hardener.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 19, 2021 06:54PM

Use the strategy that has the least risk and doesn't close any "doors." Put the rod in a warm area and wait a few days. If it hardens, OK. If it doesn't, put another coat on, properly mixed, and cure it in a warm area. Don't even consider 53, even with a heater.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2021 07:23PM

Typically you want to use 3ccs of each part to allow yourself suffiicient margin for error when measuring and mixing.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 20, 2021 01:20AM

I’ve built several rods with Gen4 and the CRB heater and tent. I haven’t had your temperature drop issue, but all have setup hard and really clear in less than twelve hours. I would expect that same timeframe after you got the heat back up, if there isn’t a mix issue. I have turned the drying motor off at 7 hours and rotated a quarter to third turn by hand every half hour or so, for a few more hours. I’m pretty sure those manual rotations are just an abundance of caution, though.

That is such a small amount of mix that the variance in what stays in the syringe spout or a little plunger tilt could be substantial. It’s hard to stop both plungers at precisely the same spot, too. I’ve mixed chemicals as a fisheries biologist using all sorts of methodologies. The separate epoxy syringes are far from being accurate for measuring that small of a quantity. I bet your Gen4 works perfectly the next time in warmer conditions and with a larger quantity of product.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 20, 2021 01:21AM

Keith,
The above comments are good and valid. While any properly mixed thermo-epoxy will eventually go off, 53* will require a long time and unless you know for certain how much your little heater actually raised the temp, blind guessing is all that was achieved. A post-cure of 150*F may solve your problems, even if the mix ratio was off (acknowledge and apply Tom’s suggestion of mixing a minimum of 3cc each of resin and hardener). A simple yet effective oven can be made from a cardboard box, a 15-25watt light bulb and a cheapie meat thermometer; be cautious = even a low wattage light bulb can generate too much heat = monitor with a thermometer!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 20, 2021 01:43AM

My CRB heater raises the temperature, inside of the tent, from a home interior base of 70 degrees to 75 degrees. Each end of the tent overlaps my work table by about a foot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2021 01:46AM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 20, 2021 09:40AM

What works for me is a set of stainless measuring spoons, goes down to 1/8 teaspoon.
Fill to just level with the top edge of the desired size.
Then wipe clean to make sure no residue of 1st part, and do it again.
For just 1 guide, i use Flex Coat with "Yorker Caps" to lay down a thin bead of each,
side-by-side.
This works for very small amounts as long as you are careful to make the "beads" even.
And remember, everything kept clean!
Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster