I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Longevity of butt wraps.
Posted by: Peter Uveges (---)
Date: February 19, 2021 05:37PM

I've owned countless rods over the years and noticed the quality is cheap across the board in the finish quality. Heavily fished factory rods start to come apart a few years, and I was wondering about custom rods. How long do those 7 or 8 inch solid thread butt wraps last on a custom rod that was put together properly with high quality coatings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Longevity of butt wraps.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2021 06:06PM

I have many that are pushing 40 years of age and they're still fine.

Keep in mind that most commercially made rods are designed to last about 3 to 4 years. That is considered the lifetime of most fishing rods.

Posted by: Peter Uveges (---)
Date: February 19, 2021 06:13PM

Thanks.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 20, 2021 10:46AM

The biggest problem I've seen with commercially made rods is in the very poor quality of the cork, which in time comes apart, and in the grip/reel seat epoxy failures. I think that cardboard is sometimes used for arbors, and not enough epoxy is used. I think others have seen their share, too, based on the many requests on forums for help in stabilizing a loose seat. Custom builders use better quality arbors and plenty of quality epoxy. Rods built as we build them should last generations if cared for properly.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 20, 2021 11:55AM

My sturgeon rod's butt wrap was done in 1984, still looks nice as do all the other wraps and guides.

Posted by: Jay Burns (---)
Date: February 20, 2021 12:27PM

Agreed, i have a major name brand rod that has a cork grip peeling off. Quality is cheap, prices arent. Havent bought one off the rack since. Build quality to me is just different. I have and use heavily rods i built 10 yrs ago and look great.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 20, 2021 07:05PM

I have off the rack rods that still look and function perfectly after two decades or more of use but they are much pricier off the rack models . Well over the $100.00 mark , the cork is very very good and it came with top of the line Alps guides at the time .

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 22, 2021 03:27PM

I have rods with diamond wraps that have been going strong for over 40 years. One of the advantages of an older rod is the finish that was used - it was typically Gudegbrod one part epoxy. if you have an old rod that has that epoxy, removing the thread and re-wrapping is very simple as that epoxy comes off very easily, much easier than a 2-part epoxy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster