I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Coating filled guide feet?
Posted by: Michael Friddle (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2021 08:33AM

Do any of you coat them with anything after you have filled them down to prevent rust mainly in a saltwater environment? I have one rod I built that the guide feet rusted on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coating filled guide feet?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 19, 2021 09:06AM

I think if the guide feet are rusting it is an indication that water is getting into the wrap. Often when this is happening the epoxy will look cloudy, then clear as the water evaporates. If you see cloudy epoxy, give it another coat. If the feet are rusting it's probably a poor job of applying wrap epoxy, or the epoxy has broken down.

I don't grind guide feet, just a light brush with 150 sandpaper to provide a little better climbing of the thread. You can also skip up the foot with 5 or 6 wraps, then slide them back down the foot thus filling the gap left by the skip.

Posted by: Michael Friddle (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2021 09:11AM

I guess that does make since that it will only rust if water i getting in mixing with air. I think the best thing to do is just cut them off and rewrap.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 19, 2021 11:34AM

Hello All.

Michael D. has it right, but for me sometimes with heavy salt gear I will sometimes use a guide that is a little thicker than I want so I have to grind the feet down some and the metal shows nice & shinny on a black rod, so I will spray primer the same color as the guide over the feet of the guide, or whatever color you want (match the blank or the wrap).

Hope that helps.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 19, 2021 12:44PM

I use heavy saltwater guides like Robert....I have to grind them. My overwraps are usually black so I just take a black sharpie and color them that way. Saves me heartache later...I have had the silver show through once or twice on a finished rod

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.58.99.---)
Date: February 19, 2021 12:58PM

Titanium frames will not corrode in saltwater environments. It is also a good idea to make sure the part of the foot that bends up to the neck is covered with epoxy. Don't leave anyplace where water can be captured against the blank and the guide frame, especially with Stainless Steel frames..

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 19, 2021 07:19PM

I also use a black sharpie for black guides if I have shine showing through.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 19, 2021 07:21PM

I also use a black sharpie for black guides if I have shine showing through.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2021 07:57PM

Take a little time and look at some welder forums.

It is well known that using a sanding/grinding/cutting wheel on one metal and then another will "contaminate" one and can lead to corrosion. Always use a "virgin" device. Ditto on anything that contains chlorides like many marker/paint pens. In general you want:

Less than 200ppm of Chlorides and total Halogens

Less than 250ppm of each low melting point metals (includes: Antimony, Bismuth, Cadmium, Lead, Mercury, Phosphorus, Tin, Zinc, Copper, Silver)

Less than 250ppm of sulfur

So it could be that you didn't encapsulate with epoxy, or it could be that you did contaminate with your prep work. Did you grind/sand the guide feet? What others get away with in their waters matters little to you in your waters.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: February 20, 2021 06:08PM

Very informative.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2021 06:23PM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 20, 2021 07:49PM

If using a Sharpie, it should one approved for marking metal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster