I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Swimait Rod Build
Posted by: Chris Campbell (---.fe.bosch.de)
Date: February 17, 2021 10:55AM

Hello
I'm brand new to rod building and have never built one before and I'm finding some of it a little overwhelming. I just bought a bunch of blanks from NFC during their black Friday sales, first rod I'm going to build is a swimbait rod, (SWB 807). Its going to throw glide baits in that 3-4oz range with 50lb braid and 30lb mono leader with a FG knot. The real confusion is on the guides, there is so many different styles and types. I want to use fuji, stainless steel frames and probably alconite rings, but what types should I be ordering? Is their a overview for these guides that explains these? Any suggestions on the reel seat for a swimbait rod? I'm using the CTRG14 handle, can anyone recommend what fighting butt cap to use?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Swimait Rod Build
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 17, 2021 09:34PM

Salt, or freshwater?

Date: February 18, 2021 09:11AM

Freshwater, targeting mostly bass and the occasional musky.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 18, 2021 12:04PM

I’m assuming it will be a casting rod, so I don’t think you can go wrong using the double foot Fuji KW guides throughout the build or coupling them with the Fuji KB/KT single foot running guides. Not sure what kind of reel you are using, or whether of not you you want a conventional NGC guide train using larger running guides or a KR guide train which uses smaller micro guides. If using a low profile bass reel, for a NGC you could used a KW10 stripper followed by a KW8 (or KW6) to either KW6 runners, or KT6 runners. For a higher profile reel you could use a KW12 as the stripper, For a KR concept use a KW10 stripper, to a KW5.5, followed by two or three KB5.5 or KB5 belly guides followed by KT 5.5 or 5 runners. The tip top in all cases would be a matching LG tip top.
Your handle is designed to fit most size16 and size17 casting trigger reel seats, so pick something you like and use it. The tenon at the end is probably a standard 20 mm diameter, so many different butt caps with a 20 mm ID and a 27 mm OD will probably fit. Hope is this helps, and maybe some others will chime in on their opinions.
Norm

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: February 18, 2021 01:55PM

I am in process on a MHX SWB967 that will be used for Umbrellas and big swimbaits. Going to run 20-25# fluorocarbon. I am running a low ratio low profile reel. I am going to try a KW8 , KB6 , then KT5 runners. All alconite. I want to experiment with slightly smaller guides since it is a rod for myself and science. If they need upsized after testing then I get more practice on the power wrapper and I get to buy more guides. Should finish wrapping tonight. Fishing/freezing hopefully Saturday.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: February 20, 2021 04:17PM

I built a RODgeeks C4711XHF 7'11" | Mono. Line Weight: 20 - 40 lb | Lure Weight: 3 - 8 oz | Fast Action, Extra-Heavy Power a few years ago and I used all double foot KW guides (12-10-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8 and 8 tip top) in a spiral wrap. I’ve used the rod for throwing large swimbaits, umbrella rigs, and pier fishing for King Mackerel. I have it paired with a Shimano Tranx 400 with either 25lb mono or 40lb braid. I could down size the guides and it might be a tad better/lighter in the tip. If I ever decide to change to guides I will do 10-8-6 sizes.

Date: February 21, 2021 01:12PM

Yes casting rod, shimano tranx reel so low profile. thanks Norm

Thanks for the feedback Michael, I will use a 10-8-6 progression

Date: February 27, 2021 08:36AM

I sized up my guides due to braid to mono connection (I use an FG knot) and wanted ample room for the knot to pass thru the guides. An FG knot with 40lbs braid and 25 - 60lbs mono is about an inch long and stiff, so the larger guides were to allow room for the line to pass and not snag the guides on the way thru. As I stated I could have started with a size 10.

The handle length you chose is important. The rod’s going to have some weight to it and fishing swimbaits is typically a long cast and slow retrieve style of fishing. I set up the handle so that I can use a two hand cast (sort of like a surf rod) and to be able to tuck it under my arm for the retrieve. The handle from fore grip to end cap I ended up building is overall 28”. I did an 8” fore grip, Alps metal seat (I cut down the extra thread), 15.25” rear grip, and an Alps 1” butt cap. The rear length works perfect for my style off casting. It is long enough to lobe a big bait and short enough to be switch over to a reeling position without poking me in the chest on the transition.

The purpose for the 8” fore grip is for when I use it for King Mackerels. They grab your bait and take off like a bullet, peeling line off your reel for minutes at a time. The longer grip gives me somewhere to rest my arms while waiting for the fish to slow down. I plan to build another (lighter version) for A-rigs but the fore grip will be much short or none existent.

Date: February 27, 2021 09:19AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster