I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

large diameter tip-top to go with Fuji SiC guides
Posted by: Michael Ward (172.58.159.---)
Date: February 17, 2021 11:13AM

Have a request to build a 80 lb class tuna rod with a spiral wrap and he wants Fuji SiC guides - but I'm unable to find a roller tip-top that will work - the All American @#$%& only goes up to a 18 and it does not look like regular roller tip-tips will work flipped over. So, looking at larger diameter traditional tip-tips.. the Fuji SiC only goes to an 18 as well....

Looks like AT has one with a "halide" ring that will go large enough - but not sure about that materials hardness, etc..

any recommendations?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: large diameter tip-top to go with Fuji SiC guides
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 17, 2021 11:56AM

Michael,
What size do you wish for the tip ring and what size is the diameter of the rod blank tip?

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 17, 2021 12:48PM

Michael,
You are correct; All American Roller Guides are the only rollers designed for spiral wraps; conventional rollers will not work. You are also apparently correct that the largest tip tube size Fuji offers is the HGST-18.
Dang, you have a fat-tipped blank! I can only assume you are measuring with calipers, and possibly a few times; none the less, consider re-measuring and even letting someone else measure (sometimes we all cannot see the forest through the trees). I would think blank manufacturers are fully aware of tips with tube sizes which are common and easily available and build their blanks accordingly. My 80lb Calstar tuna rod has a #12 tip and my 100lb Seeker is a #14 (both spiraled with full sets of AA Rollers). Battling large, powerful fish is certainly no time to compromise on the quality of the guides. I hate to say it but if you cannot find the best quality tip in a size to fit your blank, find another blank! I think a roller tip (if not all the guides) is a wise choice for 80+rods! Just out of curiosity, what blank do you have?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.sip.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 17, 2021 02:27PM

Roger - I think we're doing with size 12 rings.... the tip is a size 24 (or a snug hair larger).

Mark - the blank is a Seeker IGFA80 - its a stout rod for sure :) - I have one Aftco roller tip already in hand that was going to be used and it sits snuggly on the tip.

I did find some ALPS tip-tops that go that large - though not sure they have them with the Zirconium rings - and he's pretty stuck on needing the SiC for hardness (though do not think he's going to wire-line - just think he "wants the best") ....

Date: February 17, 2021 08:32PM

Michael,
The Aftco roller top will not work for spiral-wrapped guides! All American Roller Guides are the ONLY that will!
I am confused with the numbers you afforded Roger, especially “the tip is a size 24 (or a snug hair larger).” A size 24 tip = 24/64in = 3/8in (.375in)!!! I seriously doubt your blank tip is that large! Even your previously mentioned size 18 = 18/64in = 9/32 (.281in) is huge for an 80lb rod. Again, my SeekerCTF63XXH tip is a size 14 = 14/64 = 7/32 (.218in) and that is a 100lb blank. Seriously consider re-measuring; something is out of whack.
Your choice of size 12 ring running guides will certainly work but may be larger than required; 10s or 8s will get the job done. I suspect you have chosen Fuji HBSGs which would be a good choice. If so, consider reversing the reduction guides with the long legs pointing forward; not that it is of real concern but such will eliminate line slap on the legs and it will drive the deckhands crazy. One way or the other, if you do not already know and employ it, learn the FG knot; simply put it is ultimately the strongest and smallest diameter braid-to-leader knot!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: John Sansevera (---.hsd1.ny.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2021 09:46PM

That blank is listed as a tip being size 23 or 9.1mm , wow thats a telephone pole

Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that

Date: February 18, 2021 12:14AM

Michael,
Do you have the blank in your possession to actually measure the tip or are you relying on the printed specs that John found? I still cannot imagine a blank with a 3/8 tip diameter; that’s more than a telephone pole, that’s a bridge support! If such is the case, make your life easy, bite the bullet, learn from the experience, and get rid of it and get a proper sized blank. I will say that thread wrapping the tip would certainly be less frustrating!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Michael Ward (172.58.159.---)
Date: February 18, 2021 11:19AM

Have the blanks in hand. Have a Aftco size 24 roller top and it just barely fits. It’s a broom stick for sure - not sure how I’ll static test it - lol. But it’s the specific blank he specified.... think he was mirroring this off another semi-custom rod.

We are going to have a talk about if this is what he truly wants / needs for the use....

Oh - and the FG knot is the bomb!

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 18, 2021 11:51AM

Hello Michael.

Here are my picks, one for non-roller and one roller.

XBBRHT Boat Tops

SKU: #XBBRHT

$6.59 to $7.63

Black SS Frame | Halide Ring | Spinning, Casting & Saltwater

Size

Tube Size

10.0 (~4.0mm)

12.0 (~4.8mm)

14.0 (~5.6mm)

16.0 (~6.4mm)

18.0 (~7.0mm)

20.0 (~7.9mm)

22.0 (~8.7mm)

24.0 (~9.5mm)

25.0 (~9.9mm)

26.0 (~10.3mm)

28.0 (~11.1mm)

Will this work for a roller?

AFTCO Super Heavy Duty Swivel Tops

SKU: #STOP

$92.00 to $111.00

Chrome Plated Frame | Silicon Carbide (SiC) Ring

Option

Black

Chrome

Size

14/64"

16/64"

18/64"

20/64"

22/64"

24/64"

26/64"

28/64"

30/64"

32/64"

Hope this is useful.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster