I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sports Decals/Nail Art
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2021 10:37AM

Have read in the past that some guys have used Waterslide Nail Art Decals for sports themed custom builds. I am a bit skeptical of using them, as I have read from some they will fade in the sun over time. Last thing I want to do is build a beautiful rod with decals that have basically been erased by UV. I know I can contact Decal Connection have them do a variation but not the logo itself. Was hoping to incorporate an NFL and MLB logo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sports Decals/Nail Art
Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 17, 2021 10:51AM

I have used vinyl nail decals for themed rods in the past.....Batman...Superman...etc. I have also used vinyl eye-black pro sports decals which are a bit larger than the nail decals. Adhered to the rod with some CP and then 2 coats of epoxy on top. I have had no complaints.

[]

Date: February 17, 2021 10:59AM

Great to hear that! My son has been on me about a Mario themed rod for this yr. If you use the vinyl water slides anything you do specific, or just go epoxy over with a few coats. Thanks for the info!!!!

Date: February 17, 2021 12:07PM

Hi Jay.....to be clear....I have not used anything on waterslide paper so I can't comment on that. The vinyl decals I have used have all been self-adhesive. I would cut the team logo off the under eye decal and go from there. They were very useful for my purposes but rather small. I would incorporate them into a decorative wrap in team colors.

Posted by: Eric Egee (---)
Date: February 17, 2021 12:26PM

I've used the nail decals on several rods with no problems.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: February 17, 2021 02:02PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2021 02:04PM by Joseph Willsen.

Date: February 17, 2021 04:52PM

So is everyone using the self adhesive vinyl versions rather the waterslide options?

Those looks great guys! Very nice

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 17, 2021 06:18PM

Whatever you use, it has to be UV stable, or somewhat so. Epoxy, from what I have been told by those who work in developing it, has UV protection for it, but not for what's under it.

I've found decals printed on ink jet printers do not hold up well in the sun. Some colors better than others, and I think there is a lot of variation in UV stability between inks, but one cannot predict it. Decals by Decal Connection do hold up fine in the sun. . Bullet proof.

I have no experience with nail decor decals, but UV stability should be kept in mind.

For my rods and for rods I've built for friends, with custom decals, I keep them out of the sun as much as possible, and recommend others do the same with rods with them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster