I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

4' 6" ultra light rod blank?
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 17, 2021 08:16AM

Is anyone aware of a 4' 6" ultra light rod blank? So far, the closest I found is a 5'. There are some 42" ice rod blanks but I dont think those will do the trick either.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 4' 6" ultra light rod blank?
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: February 17, 2021 09:49AM

At croix used to make one is scII. Not sure if rod geeks has it or not

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 17, 2021 10:17AM

NFC FW461-1IM.

Date: February 17, 2021 10:23AM

I looked for the St Croix, couldnt find it.

I was able to find the NFC blank. Thanks.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 17, 2021 11:54AM

Ken,
If you want a 4'6" or 54 " ultra light 5' or 60" ultra light rod blank and chop 6 inches off the butt of the rod and build your rod.

Over the years, I have started with a lot of different power rod blanks that needed to be shorter. Chop, chop goes the saw and the shorter blank emerges.

The rod will work just fine, as long as you are only chopping from the butt of the rod and not the tip. Chop from the tip and ruin the rods sensitivity and untra light action.

Chop the butt of the rod to your desired length and move on.

A dremel tool with an abrasive cut off wheel on the tip does a great job of chopping blanks.
Or, you could use a shops high speed cut off tool with a 3 inch abrasive cut of wheel at the tip to chop the blank.

Best wishes.

Date: February 17, 2021 12:21PM

Duh..I forgot about cutting the blank. I do have a dremel and have used it to remove reel seats.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 17, 2021 01:13PM

Ken,
If you are not steadfast on CF, I have access to UL, FG vintage Conolon blanks as short as 3’11”. They are gorgeous with a coat of PG, the FG lends itself exceptionally well to UL, and you can fish a piece of fishing blank history at the same time. Fish Fighting Fun Factor at its peak!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: February 17, 2021 03:49PM

Mark..if it was for me, I would say yes. Was going to go with the NFC but customer shot that down due to $.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 17, 2021 06:20PM

I will never build or use or recommend a rod shorter than 6 feet. Terrible hook sets, limited casting range, no reason to put up with those things when just a foot or so more length makes like a lot easier.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 17, 2021 06:47PM

Find a 5ft. in the appropriate price range and cut it, as Roger said.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---)
Date: February 17, 2021 08:58PM

I am building on the NFC RIGHT now. Very nice blank. Keep 8n mind NFC is running them on sale. Add it to your cart and it is 49 bucks. I got mine on a even better sale for 39. Heck of blank for 50 bucks even with tax and shipping.

Date: February 18, 2021 08:24AM

Might have to get one of those NFC blanks for myself. The client doesnt wanna go that high. Going to go with the MHX 5' 1 piece and cut it down.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 18, 2021 12:46PM

Short blanks:

Over the years, I have seen a lot of folks fishing over the sides of their boats with rods as short as 3 feet and they were catching a lot of fish.

With a blank that short - no casting. But a short rod with a weight, a hook and a reel can put a lot of fish in the boat, if the boat is in the right spot.

Go to the side of the boat with a baited hook. Open the bail let the weight pull the line out until the weight hits the bottom. Reel the line up one turn of the reel and when the fish bites, reel it in. "Repeat"

In the right area, a limit of fish can be easily obtained using this method.

On some of the larger inland lakes the head boats will go out and for those folks not bringing fishing gear will be given a soft action 4 foot long rod with a closed face reel. The boat takes the anglers to the spot and or drifts a potential flat. All of the anglers have green 1/4 oz jigs baited with shiner minnows. The Captain instructs the folks to pull the trigger on the reel and let out line until the jig hits the bottom. Then, he instructs them to do a constant lift - of two feet and drop the tip back down. "{Repeat}"

The action of the jig is effectively saw tooth in shape. Typically the walleye, will hit the baited jig as it falls and when the rod is lifted, the hook is set and the fish is reeled in.

A dynamite way to catch fish for a person who has never fished before and knows nothing about fishing.

So - the folks come back to the dock with fish for lunch with little added instruction from the guide/captain of the boat.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 18, 2021 01:55PM

Hello All.

I built a 29-1/2" rod I use as a bait rod, I go to the side of the boat with a baited Sabiki rig, open the bail let the weight pull the line out until the weight hits the bottom, reel in a few turns then jig the line up and down, when the fish bites, reel it in.

I use it for cigar minnows, silver sided sardines, ballyhoo, pinfish, menhaden, shad and other baitfish.

Tight Wraps &Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Mike Stephens (---)
Date: February 18, 2021 07:47PM

I did a similar post a couple weeks ago. a couple suggestions were the Phenix Elixir 5'6" UL blank. so I did order it. I got the rod a couple days ago. It feels awesome. I am still trying to decide if I am doing single grip or split grip and what I want to do with it. I have been playing around with multi color epoxy over a colored thread but I don't want to make it to heavy. So I'll probably do some kind of thread wrap with split grip with smaller turned cork grips and titanium guides. If I remember the blank was $49. Weight is .56oz , 1-4lb line, fast action
'
'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster