I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Opinions-Point blank PB731MHXF and also mudhole LZR guides
Posted by: Brett Ford (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2021 10:41PM

Hi everyone, I'm new to rodbuilding.org and rod building in general. I'm looking at making a casting rod using the PB731MHXF. I'll be bass fishing and it will be an all-around rod that will initially see a lot of 3/8-1/2oz chatterbaits/spinnerbaits/buzzbaits with some 1/2oz and under texas rig and jig use in light cover. I've done a little searching and noticed a number of people here are fans of the Point Blank rod blanks, but I haven't seen much on any opinions or info on the PB731MHXF and what some have used it for...so I'm curious what everyone thinks of it and whether it will fit what I'm looking for...?

Second question, is has anyone used the mudhole LZR guides and if so, what are your opinions of them? Any problems with them or major advantage to moving to fuji guides instead?

Brett

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Opinions-Point blank PB731MHXF and also mudhole LZR guides
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 15, 2021 01:44AM

What fish are you targeting? I would not use Mudhole guides, but that is just me. Fuji, Seaguide, Batson Alps would also work. I think Fuji are just a better quality guides with less failures like the ring cracking or popping out or the frame welds failing, I am not sure about LZR.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 15, 2021 06:34AM

I myself wouldn't put a guide I had concerns about on that quality blank. Just my opinion.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 15, 2021 08:30AM

Point Blanks are great blanks, but I think you may, for the weights you mention, be better off with the PB731MXF, which I built as a cast with Fuji RV6, then KB and KT 5.5's to the end. Wonderful, very versatile, rod. It is a pretty powerful rod due to it's long, strong lower section, then softer tip which yields the XF action designation. Recheck the lure weight recommendations and the CCS power ratings before deciding. I just did and think the MXF is better for what you want.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 15, 2021 10:08AM

I agree with Michael, the Point Blanks are great blanks. One of the things about Point Blanks is that they are very powerful rods for their rating. For example, when comparing rods with similar manufacturer ratings, the Point Blank will almost always be more powerful. A medium rated Point Blank will be as powerful, if not more so, than most MH rated rods from other companies. However, they will cast the listed lure range very well, and, in my opinion, have a wider lure weight range than listed. The fast soft tip allows for long casts with a wide range of lure weights, and coupled with a powerful butt section gives the Point Blank a very unique feel, which I like very much. I own all of the PB731 models and they are all great, but I feel that the PB731MXF is the most versatile of the group, with the PB731MHXF running a close second. Can’t go wrong with either.
Norm

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: February 15, 2021 12:38PM

I think the MHXF is the more utilitarian of the two for bass fishing. Build it out with a titanium framed guide train and enjoy.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.net.kent.edu)
Date: February 15, 2021 02:33PM

I'm not sure Brett has concerns about the LZR guides, as much as he has interest in what others think. After not seeing much about them, I tried set (double foot 6 followed by single foots in 5 and 4s to the tip) on an MHX FP885 trimmed down to 7' from the butt, but it won't be fished for a while yet. The guides themselves seem on par with guides I've used from a variety of manufacturers on the left. Unless they have a fatal design problem in their thin ring design, I don't foresee many issues, but a single set of guides isn't likely to ferret out that issue unless most of the set fails.

Posted by: Brett Ford (---)
Date: February 16, 2021 11:50AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with Michael, the Point Blanks are great
> blanks. One of the things about Point Blanks is
> that they are very powerful rods for their rating.
> For example, when comparing rods with similar
> manufacturer ratings, the Point Blank will almost
> always be more powerful. A medium rated Point
> Blank will be as powerful, if not more so, than
> most MH rated rods from other companies. However,
> they will cast the listed lure range very well,
> and, in my opinion, have a wider lure weight range
> than listed. The fast soft tip allows for long
> casts with a wide range of lure weights, and
> coupled with a powerful butt section gives the
> Point Blank a very unique feel, which I like very
> much. I own all of the PB731 models and they are
> all great, but I feel that the PB731MXF is the
> most versatile of the group, with the PB731MHXF
> running a close second. Can’t go wrong with
> either.
> Norm

So would you say the tip section of the PB731MXF is light enough to still fall in line with other manufacturers Medium power rods? Or MH for the PB731MHXF? I largely chose the PB731MHXF, when looking at the line up, based on the quote they have on their website from Kyle Welcher and some of his videos where he has talked about what blanks he has been using the most.

Joe is correct, I’m not super concerned that they are a junk guide or anything, lots of people consider the MHX rod line up to be pretty good, so it would make sense that the top of the line guide that mud hole offers, the LZR, would be if decent quality and performance. As Joe said for himself, I haven’t seen much on them either, so I was hoping some people here would have tried them or know people that have and could provide additional insight on them and how they compare to bigger names like Fuji.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 16, 2021 12:12PM

As I mentioned both the PB731MHXF and the PB731MXF are excellent and very versatile blanks. Both will do exactly what you want to do. The weights you mention are in the wheel house for both. If you like lots of reserve power for heavier cover or larger baits then go with the MH, if not the M still has plenty of power and a tip to allow for easier casting of lighter baits. It’s just a matter of personal choice, everyone has different likes and dislikes.
Norm

Posted by: Chuck Brezen (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 16, 2021 05:26PM

Brett

Just my opinion but I’ve used the LZR guides on several builds and have had zero issues. Thin rings, light weight and nice profile. The gunmetal color looks nice with custom cork as well. We build with many brands and have found most of them to be great to build with. Sometimes you have to just try them and see what you think, right?

Chuck

><))))">….><))))">….><))))">….Just Fish

Prior Lake Rod Building Guild
Instagram @pl_rod_building_guild

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 16, 2021 06:38PM

Regarding the guides, I don't foresee a problem, They come with a limited lifetime warranty. They look very nice.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2021 08:27PM

I’ve never used the LZR guides, for no other reason than they are not KR concept guides, they are NGC guides. Since I no longer build NGC rods, I don’t use them. I’m sure they are very nice quality guides that will work quite well in a NGC guide train.
Norm

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: February 17, 2021 07:10PM

I have built 3 spin rods using LZR guides. I really liked them. they are light and seem strong and have zirconia inserts. They are nice looking guides. I had no problems or issues with them. I would use them again for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2021 08:21AM by Todd Andrizzi.

Posted by: Brett Ford (---)
Date: February 19, 2021 02:03PM

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm going to stick with the PB731MHXF for this build as I'd have more use for a rod that's heavier than what I'm looking for then I would with a rod that's a bit light, can always build a PB731MXF later if need be. I think I'll try out the LZR guides as well. They should be worth the cost savings over fuji on this build.

Brett

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster