I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ul Four Piece Travel Blank
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2021 04:14AM

Looking for a 6 foot ish ul to light travel blank, four pieces as I want length to not exceed about 20"s when broken down. I have built the Rainshadow RX6 SB720-4 in the past. Nice blank but it is not a light blank as advertised, med light is even stretching it. Wonder if anyone has any suggestions. Thought of using a fly rod blank of some fashion, but really want a fast action, and nothing less than mod fast. Appreciate any advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ul Four Piece Travel Blank
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: February 13, 2021 09:19AM

Lure weight?
Herb

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2021 10:52AM

As a trout rod the rating on the Batson blank is off, as advertised it is a Spin Bass blank which are built similar to Mag Bass blanks.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 13, 2021 11:06AM

Have you talked to CTS new Zealand in the list to the left on this page , ""not cheep ""

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2021 01:12PM

Rod Geeks has a 5'6" UL 4pc in the Carbon 2 series that looks like it could be worth a look if you are willing to go a little shorter. You could get creative and use a detachable rear grip to push it out to 6'-6'2" if you really need the extra length.

Date: February 13, 2021 02:05PM

Looking at 1/32 ounce and up for weight. Mainly going to be for 1/32 to 1/16 lures. I missed the Rod Geeks blank that looks about perfect. Thanks.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---)
Date: February 13, 2021 02:10PM

I'll contact you off forum if you are willing to go 5' 6", but your email is hidden. Mine is not in case you want to contact me. There's a Japanese manufacturer makes one just in that capacity and I actually have one on hand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2021 02:11PM by Mo Yang.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 13, 2021 02:45PM

Michael,
I too have not found any 4-piece UL trout rods or blanks in either your length of 6ft or my 7ft. When it comes to “pac-rods”, it seems as though the fly and bass guys get all the attention which seems odd to me considering how much backpacking takes place in alpine backcountry (trout grounds).
Allow me to offer suggestions for sectioning a blank into as many pieces as needed; the real beauty is the ability to use a blank which precisely fits your requirements/desires. From least desirable to the best:
1.) Metal ferrules are available and range in quality from inexpensive (=cheap) to moderately priced to expensive custom hand-drawn NS. While metal ferrules are the quickest and easiest, they are the worst concerning rod performance as they produce flat-spots in the flex curve of the blank.
2.) Internal “spigot” ferrules can be hand made from solid FG rod. I cannot imagine the patience required to get even close to matching the taper of the blank let alone precisely matching it which is paramount in proper performing ferrules. Although solid, their smaller diameter may make them more prone to breakage. Due to being somewhat flexible and holding the blank sections equally, spigots will not affect the flex curve as much as metal ferrules. They also leave a nice, clean appearance to the blank
3.) Spigot ferrules #2: Purchase a second, identical blank to be sacrificed in producing the spigots. This will insure a better chance of matching the taper of the ferrules to the blank but can be costly depending on the blank(s) chosen. Additionally, a third, again sacrificial blank may be needed, especially with the more sections desired; this is dependent on how slow (shallow) the blank’s taper is combined with the wall thickness as the position of the pieces (spigots) along the sacrificial blank may overlap. While this method will produce precisely tapered ferrules (95% of the time), their smaller diameter and being tubular (hollow) may make them more fragile and prone to breakage. As with the solid ferrules above, these will leave a nice, clean appearance.
4.) Fabricate your own tubular, woven FG CARL ferrules (Constant Arc Rod Link). I have developed a method which utilizes the actual blank itself as the “mold” to produce the thinner external sleeve ferrule and thicker internal spigot ferrule with inherently identical tapers. Any rod builder capable of applying epoxy to a thread wrap can fabricate CARL. CCF testing revealed less than 1% difference in a CARL equipped blank compared to before it was cut! Please find the attached link. If interested further, contact me as I have slightly modified the process.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: February 13, 2021 11:28PM

Mo Yang I made email available. Please send me the blank info.

Date: February 13, 2021 11:36PM

Mark I am intrigued by your CARL setup. Will take some time to fully review it and consider it if I cannot find a ready to wrap option. I am not going to be as set on getting exactly what I want in this case. Rod will see limited use. If I can come close to what i want without extra time and expense I will be more flexible than usual in my decision.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster