I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

3 piece fly rod blanks - ideas for economy blanks
Posted by: Tim Kelly (172.58.142.---)
Date: February 13, 2021 02:55PM

I've had several requests for fly rods lately, I am trying to find a reasonably priced $50-$80 3 piece blank that will make a nice fly rod for these requests.
Any ideas? Probably RX6/RX7 type blanks, Batson Forecast are they only 2 piece or 4 piece? I've considered PacBay also but the lower priced blanks are 2 piece rod builds.
Any one offering a custom rodbuilder option blank anymore? What happened to the Tiger Eye blanks?
Thanks,

Tim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3 piece fly rod blanks - ideas for economy blanks
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 13, 2021 04:53PM

What is wrong with 4 piece? With the ferrules now used they really have no disadvantage over others for performance. Lots of options there with 4 piece.

There is a reason there are few 3 piece available-it's because 4 piece perform as well and travel better.

Posted by: Tim Kelly (172.58.139.---)
Date: February 13, 2021 06:41PM

I've always thought the 3 piece rods tend to have a better casting action, actually I prefer the two piece rods but they don't seem to be a good fit for most people.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 13, 2021 06:52PM

1 piece you can get, 2 piece you can get, 4 piece you can get, 3 piece you can't have:)

What weight(s) and lengths are you looking for?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 13, 2021 07:38PM

Talon has a few, none in your price range, they start at one C note.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 13, 2021 10:09PM

I would defy anyone to be able to tell the casting difference between a 3 and 4 pc fly rod! 4 pc has become the standard for fly fishermen who travel a lot! As already mentioned the improvements in carbon fiber ferrules has made multi-piece rods the choice of most fly fishermen I know and build for.

Posted by: Tim Kelly (172.58.142.---)
Date: February 14, 2021 01:51PM

Russ,
I like the 4/5 weights in the 71/2 foot rods and 5 weights in the 8 and 81/2 ft rods. Outside of the number of sections, are Batson and PacBay the only distributors of the basic fly rod blanks? I used to like the plum colored PacBay traditional blanks but thats gone away. What companies supply blanks just to builders and not as finished rods?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 14, 2021 02:25PM

Lots of companies, Tim. Check out Mudhole and Getbitoutdoors, both carry a number of companies. A few are Rodgeeks, American Tackle, Phenix, Lamiglass, MHX, Liberty, United 'Composites, etc .

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 14, 2021 05:53PM

Tim, you are in a bit of a pickle. You want shorter than usual blanks, at a low price, and with a different number of sections than the norm. I think you will have to adjust the budget or, preferably, the number of sections.

Is it just a price point you are looking to make, or are you looking for a more moderate action blank as well?

If you will consider 2 or 4 piece blanks the Rainshadow Unity line is just what you are looking for.

In a perverse sort of way slower action blanks often command a premium because there isn't the same demand for them (I think).

Be advised NFC has been running specials at anywhere from 50 to 66% off list price. Problem is you wouldn't be able to offer the customer the same blank at the same price later on. You will just have to keep checking prices or get on an email list. Based on what I have found, if you buy one, chances are high it will be too nice to sell at that price and you will end up replacing your personal rods. You have been warned.

Rodgeeks has a few near the top of your budget but they are going to be a modern fast action blank which may not be your cup of tea.

In the end the unity line is probably what you are looking for. The revelation is the next step up. They have a 8'6" 2 piece 5 wt for $79 but the same thing in a 4 piece jumps to $134. Their RX7 blanks have always been a very nice blank by any standard, but again we are near the top of the budget and into a blank that might be faster than you want.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tim Kelly (172.58.139.---)
Date: February 15, 2021 04:35PM

Russ, I usually build fiberglass fly rods 7 to 7'6", small stream fly rods just because thats what I like working on I guess. And for the graphite rods that I use I just like the earlier less technological wonder graphite blanks. Yes, to the price point. I suppose I could build Sage rods but I would end up sinking a lot of my money into a high end rod before I've sold it. I started building rods back in the Dale Clemens and LA Garcia era so I guess I am stuck doing things the same way as back then. I have looked at the Unity blanks and will consider the 4 piece since thats the new normal for now.
Appreciate the help from everyone.

Tim

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 15, 2021 04:55PM

The "Tiger Eye" blanks are out of production.
We handled them for several years until the importer closed.
Very good at a good price.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster