I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Nylon and color fast used together
Posted by: David Janes (---)
Date: February 12, 2021 03:03PM

I know I’ve seen this talked about before but could not find it. Is there any reason I should not use colorfast thread with nylon thread in the same wrap? II want to use color fast white with regular nylon grey. One thing I’ve noticed with the two being same manufacturer and thread size is that the color fast white seems a bit larger in diameter then the grey. Is that just me or is that normal? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nylon and color fast used together
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 12, 2021 03:51PM

I don't know about the size difference. What will happen is that the gray will change color significantly, and the way to see approximately what will happen is to do a test wrap. Wrap the two together as you plan and wet the wrap with alcohol. Not exact, but close.

If the blank is dark the white can be a challenge in that it has to be well packed to prevent blotches of the blank showing through. Some paint the blank white to eliminate this.

Others more expert than I will most likely chime in. I only use white for single thread accents.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 12, 2021 04:59PM

NCP is ever so slightly larger in the same size designation as regular nylon.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2021 06:29PM

I use NCP with Regular Nylon, the NCP is used a trim band or an inlaid wrap, like in the middle of a ferrule wrap. Like one of the other gents mentioned, best to do a test wrap. Do it on the section of the blank that will be covered by the grip if you don't have scrap sections of blanks.

It is slightly "larger" in diameter, but not enough to cause a hump in your finish.

The two opposing threads can class up a wrap, the Nylon will get a translucent/luster look to it, while the NCP will have a duller, but pronounced look. I am in the middle of finishing a Black S2 Glass build, I used Pro Wrap 525 Green Nylon with Pro Wrap 713 Sunrise NCP for the inlaid trim, just 2 turns in the middle of the ferrule wrap. The Sunrise matches up with the Juniper wood insert for the reel seat.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 12, 2021 09:13PM

David,
As said, there is no reason to or not to combine regular with NCP thread. While Bill employs the benefit for simple inlay threads, the real masters of involved cross wraps often use both for desired effects. Personally, I use NCP 95% of the time because I do not care for Color Preserver (CP) but that may be just me. I will be the third vote for testing! One never knows until trying.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: David Janes (---)
Date: February 13, 2021 12:19PM

Thanks guys. I've only used NCP with my builds because I tend to like how the thread looks. I'll see what happens.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 13, 2021 12:24PM

David,
In times past I have used NCP thread a few times.
However, I very much dislike the appearance of the NCP thread - finished -- with or without color preserver.

I do - very much - like the appearance of standard nylon thread with no CP being used. The thread becomes more translucent and seems to almost melt into the blank itself.

I simply like understated colors on rods and not colors that seem to "get in your face" by being so bright - that is the case with either NCP thread, or nylon thread that has been treated with color preserver.

But, that is what is nice about rod building. One person can build one way, and another person can build another way - and both ways can both be great and spectacular in appearance.

Best wishes

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 13, 2021 12:46PM

what Roger said is so true ,every one will do as they like , "" ALL WILL CATCH FISH I HAVE BEEN TOLD "" my luck is not the best , but will still will be working at it I assure you of that one ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 22, 2021 04:09PM

As has been stated in several posts, there is no reason not to combine untreated and treated thread. The over-riding issue is what you are trying to achieve. I recently completed a tiger wrap in NCP White, NCP Neon Orange, untreated Neon orange, and NCP Black. My intention was for the orange to "fade" into the darker color, and the effect was perfect! While not the colors I would want on a personal rod, the specific request was for an Oregon State Beaver themed rod, and they love the results.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster