I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dryer chucks
Posted by: Dale Thompson (---)
Date: February 12, 2021 12:34PM

I am looking for a three jaw chuck that can center the blank while it turns. Anyone familiar with this:
Jadrak Roller Rod Dryer w/ Self Centering Chuck (TDR5)
[www.durifishing.com]

Any comments pro or con?

Dale Thompson
Small-time fly rod builder

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dryer chucks
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 12, 2021 01:27PM

Looks like a good dryer. The chuck I have on mine is similar (PacBay). I also put tape around mine to make sure it doesn't loosen while it is drying (setting). I have had them loosen up while spinning and the rod fall out, that's why the tape.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2021 02:54PM

Our original self adjusting chuck has never dropped a rod, no tape needed.

[flexcoat.com]

[flexcoat.com]

[flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 12, 2021 03:31PM

The Flex Coat products have been proven over many years of use and hundreds of thousands of rods produced.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 12, 2021 04:29PM

Yes, the Flex Coat chuck is better than my tuna can with bolts holding rubber bands stretched across it "mouth." :-) Harder to get the rod in and out, though. Everything Flex Coat does is good stuff.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: February 12, 2021 06:04PM

I use bottle adapters on almost every thing that goes into my flex coat dryers , never a nick never a slip never a dent in the cork or or foam grip. Adapters all easily fit and never slip the Flex coat chuck.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 12, 2021 10:30PM

Dale,
I agree with John, Tom, Michael and Paul 100% on the Flex Coat style self-adjusting chucks, I would be lost without my 3. Good design, quick, easy, and foolproof. THE ONLY non-positive thing I have noticed is that the stretchy rubber part of the chuck can leave a black mark on a cork grip; easily solved by placing a leftover bag from a guide purchase over the butt/cork.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: February 13, 2021 11:20AM

Utmost has a huge box of chucks from the pacbay dryers. Might go as high as 3 bucks. Lots of other wrapper parts and pieces as well.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 17, 2021 09:42AM

I totally agree with John from Flex Coat.....I build larger salt water rods and struggled for years with the 3 jaw chucks dropping rods while drying. I would reverse tape the rod butt then tape the rod into the chuck.....a real PITA and it would still drop the rod sometimes. I switched to the diaphragm style chuck from flex coat and problem solved.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster