I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lamiglas guide spacing
Posted by: Rick Boley (---)
Date: February 11, 2021 05:43PM

I'm building 2 blanks 1 BMB842F for Light salt water live bait 7' 1/4 to 1oz jig weight 8-17# line with casting reel,

2nd TXC 721ML 6' salt water inshore 3/4 -2-1/4 oz 8-17# casting reel

Need a little help with guide size and spacing.Any suggestions??

I have been trying to speak with someone at Lamiglas with no luck. I can't seem to find it on the Lamiglas website.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lamiglas guide spacing
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 11, 2021 10:14PM

The first one, 3, 6 1/4, 9 3/4, 13 3/4, 18, 23, 28 1/4, 34 1/4, 41 1/2, 50 3/4. 12, 8, than 6s to the tip.
Have never seen the other blank.

Posted by: Rick Boley (104.220.50.---)
Date: February 11, 2021 10:42PM

Thank you Spencer. To be clear your info is for the BMB842F blank, correct?

Date: February 12, 2021 01:17AM

All the 7 ft. BMB blanks had the same guide spacing.

Posted by: Michael Roche (109.76.20.---)
Date: September 07, 2022 07:39AM

Hi I need some help, I have a laminglas GBL1082MH blank that I would like to build. Would anyone be able to help me regarding guide spacings please.

Date: September 07, 2022 11:32AM

GLB 108 2MH spinning from factory:
7 3/8, 16 1/2, 27, 39, 52 1/4.
12 , 16, 25, 40, 50 mm spinning guides.

Date: September 10, 2022 03:46AM

Thank you Spencer. Sorry it was my fault I should have made it clear it was the guide spacings for a casting set up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2022 03:49AM by Michael Roche.

Date: September 10, 2022 03:46AM

Thank you Spencer. It was my fault I should have made it clear it was the guide spacings for a casting set up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2022 03:50AM by Michael Roche.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: September 10, 2022 03:19PM

Michael,

What kind of line are you wanting to use? (# test, braid, fluoro, mono? Leader knot to pass through guides?) What is the reel you want to put on this rod?

I don't follow guide placement charts, not that they are wrong necessarily. For me, I find a two-line static test helpful, so my own measurements may vary blank to blank by a smidgen (even on the same blank model). All guides are placed in position temporarily pending a static line test.

Here's what I do quite often with casting set ups:

I place my butt guide about 20-inches from the casting reel face for starters (usually a Fuji RV6). If I have a reel that sits particularly tall off the reel seat, I might add an inch or two distance.

Then, I measure 3.5 to 4 inches from the tip for the first guide. I evenly space the next 6 guides 3.5 to 4 inches apart. I keep the spacing equal and close between guides throughout the most flexible section of the blank's taper. This might be overkill on the number of guides I use; for me it ensures an even load distribution where the rod is bending at its sharpest angles, and keeps the line off the blank when using smaller ring guides. These guides are all Fuji KT type running guides, usually size 4.5 or 5 ring (there are many other brands that will work, too).

When I get about 24-30 inches from the butt guide, I bring out my measuring tape and start to plot 2 or three KB type guides (wide-foot belly guides) progressively spaced between my last KT guide and the butt guide. Here is where I may choose to add another KT guide (spaced from 4 to 5 inches from the last KT guide) to help me achieve progressive spacing into the stiffer section of the blank.

So, on an NFC SJ 804 (one-piece) my guides run like this:
The first six Fuji KT running guides are 3.5 inches apart from the tip top.
The next two KT guides are 4 inches apart.
The following single KT guide is 4.25 inches apart.
And the last three guides are all KB's at: 5, 6 and 6.5 inches progressively spaced to the stripper guide.
The stripper guide was placed 20 inches from the reel face.

That's a total of 13 guides plus the tip top.

The handle/grip is 13 inches in length.

I feel a little goofy putting all this out there with so little information about your specific build, but I wanted to share my thinking and experience. If your blank is a two-piece, some extra thought is needed to place the guides where they follow the natural bend of the blank and work with the ferule. A static line test will give you some excellent clues.

Date: September 10, 2022 04:52PM

I don't have a guide spacing for a real long rear gripped surf rod, but I do have a factory spacing for a 14-inch rear grip like a salmon rod would have Using a GLB blank. 4 1/2, 9 1/2, 15, 21 1/4, 28 1/2, 37 3/4, 47 1/2, 58 3/4, and 70 inches from tip. Guide sizes from tip 10,10,10,10,10, 12,12, 16, 20. Hope this helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2022 05:22PM by Spencer Phipps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster