I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Point blank 701MLF
Posted by: Stan Vogel (---)
Date: February 10, 2021 03:44PM

I can't find the butt dimensions for reel seat selection for this rod, anyone know, or know where I can find the dimensions?

Thinking a Fugi ACS trigger reel seat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Point blank 701MLF
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 10, 2021 03:57PM

It’s butt diameter is 14.16 mm (.557’).
Here is a link from Anglers Resource. [pointblankrods.com]
Check on hard specs to get the information on a particular blank.
Norm
Oops, mis-read your post. Since the butt section of the blank is Equiradius a size 14 reel seat should be a close fit. Since I have this blank, I’ll go down to my shop and see what size reel seat will fit and get back to you. I have ACS reel seats, so it should be pretty accurate.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2021 04:06PM by Norman Miller.

Date: February 10, 2021 04:08PM

Thanks again, Norm. I've found that number, but can't find the dimensions where reel seat will be on the rod. I've built a PB before and that butt number may be consistent for some length, but I don't know where the taper starts.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2021 04:21PM

Didn’t have the size 14 ACS, but the size 14 ECM gave a nice fit at 10” up from the butt at the rear end of the reel seat. If you want a longer handle get the size 13.5 reel seat and ream it a little to get the fit you want. Hope this helps.
Norm

Date: February 10, 2021 04:49PM

Awesome Norm! 10" from butt works, I'm using a 9" cork handle. TY!!!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 10, 2021 06:01PM

Put the reel seat on the rod where you want it based on the ergonomics of the user. I have a dimension from the reel stem to the butt (it's not the dimension from the rear of the seat that means anything; it's the dimension to the stem) that ensures that the butt will not get hung up on my elbow when going from tip up to down and vice versa. Or what works best for the user in two handed casting. Think of it as an ergonomics issue. If a rod were to be designed mostly for cold or wet weather, one might make this dimension a little longer.

That is a great blank. I built mine into a spin, and it's a great rod.

Date: February 10, 2021 06:03PM

TY! I appreciate hearing about this rod. Plan is to use this for casting sluggos. I have several 7' bass rods with 9" cork handles but they're dated and it's time I lightened the load so to speak.

The last PB I built was a 7'6" mhf for a redfish guide buddy of mine, and it was a stiff rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2021 06:11PM by Stan Vogel.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 10, 2021 06:30PM

It will certainly slide down even a little further with no problem. I also like a 9” to 10” handle on my 7’ to 7’6” casting rods, seems to fit my style quite well.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster