I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Seeker-Older CLB vs newer SS CLBF ratings
Posted by: Al Jones (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 10, 2021 08:17AM

Hello everyone,
First post here and I'm excited about the wealth of info here. I want to start building my own rods. I've found a lot of older threads recommending Seeker CLB blanks for striper live baiting. I fish mainly 15lb test for landlocked stripers mainly in the 10-20lb range with some bigger ones swimming around. I see the CLB 704 has been highly recommended for this in the past but its seems maybe the older blanks had a higher range of line ratings, where the new SS-CLBF 704 is rated for 10-15 and 706 for 12-20. Are the comparable SS blanks a little softer for the given blank size or am I over thinking this?
Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seeker-Older CLB vs newer SS CLBF ratings
Posted by: Don Baker (---.ksca.qwest.net)
Date: February 10, 2021 03:22PM

Call the folks at Seeker, they have great customer service.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2021 06:37PM

IIRC the old CLB 704 was rated 10-25#. I think the general feeling was it was best fished in the 12-16# range. Never owned one. Sorry but I don't know anything about the SS-CLBF 704.

I'd put the RCLB70XL and GF700XL on the list to look at. Both are nice 15# class live bait blanks. The rainshadow is a good bit cheaper than the calstar, and almost as good. A little softer tip/slower lockup. If you are in open water they will rock with 15-17#. If you need to stop a fish around heavy cover they may not be what you are looking for.

Will you "only" be fishing live bait in open/still water? I wouldn't go with a live bait blank to toss jigs below dams.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: February 10, 2021 06:47PM

That's exactly what I was thinking about the 10-25 rating from what info I could dig up. I will give Seeker a call too to hear their thoughts.
Yes I'm totally fishing open water/no cover to worry about, and strictly live bait. I'll check out the calstar and rainshadow.
Thank you for the help!

Date: February 10, 2021 07:31PM

Next question. Will you need to "feel the bite"? A lot of the time with live bait it is quite obvious and one need not spend extra money for a more sensitive blank.

FWIW a lot of the west coast blanks tend to be old school. No need to change what works. But maybe you would welcome something that would do the same job at half the weight? Keep in mind those blanks were intended to see duty in boats in off shore salt water trips several days in duration and with 50+ anglers next to each other. You might not need that level of toughness.

Don't get me wrong. They are great blanks, but they are tanks by today's standards. For example I have a rainshadow XP964, an 8 foot four power saltwater popping blank. It has the soft tip that one wants in a live bait blank along with being slightly on the moderate side of fast action. It will fish 15# no problem but doesn't have the brute strength to handle the abuse of flipping a 15# fish into the boat. It weighs maybe a 1/3rd of the blanks you are considering. However it is no longer made but there are plenty of popping rods out there.

Take you time and identify your needs. Sometimes durability is the most important trait. Sometimes it is well down the list provided the rod is up to the task of catching the desired fish.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: February 10, 2021 09:56PM

Russ,
That definitely makes me think... because I really baby my rods and until this point I've been catching them on graphite bass rods without any issues. Maybe I feel like I'm "missing out" ha ha as funny as that sounds. I keep thinking I need the soft tip for live bait but I don't seem to miss many fish on these rods with circle hooks. Even with these rods it's easy to see the bite.

Date: February 11, 2021 05:39AM

Next question Al. Do you normally need to cast the live bait long distances? Are the baits delicate and prone to tearing off the hook when you try to cast them?

Those are the main reasons to consider a live bait blank with a soft glass tip.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: February 11, 2021 06:47AM

Russ,
I never have to cast the bait, just slow bump trolling them along at .5-1 mph. Sometimes a light inline planer board, sometimes freelined, sometimes 1/2oz sinker or maybe 1oz sinker at the most.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2021 08:29AM by Al Jones.

Date: February 11, 2021 06:04PM

Short answer, no I don't think you are missing out on anything.

Long answer. Well maybe I should tell why I use live bait blanks so much.

In my area we have a lot of saltwater fish in the under 100# range that are very fast swimmers. We are talking 60+ mph fast. We often fish live bait. Sometimes we sight cast but mostly we free line or fish them under a balloon. We normally fish mono in the 12-20# range. So we aren't fishing much drag and we know these fish are going to make a long initial run (sometimes as much as 200 yards). The problems come in when you start to gain line and you are putting a lot of pressure on the fish. In a split second you can go from thumbing/cupping the spool, pumping the fish up, and gaining line.....to him heading the other direction at 60 MPH. You need that give in the mono and that soft tip in a live bait blank to handle the sudden surge. It happens often in the fight but it is always guaranteed to happen right at the boat when that fish sees the gaff. You need the strong butt to keep him out of the props and from running under the boat....yet at the same time the limber tip and stretch in the line to absorb shock before the drag starts to give. It is a delicate balance between finesse and trying to over power the fish.

I'd say if you research such blanks you will find they are a favorite of the kingfish tournament crowd. I use them for kingfish, wahoo, barracuda, sailfish, and dolphin. I use a lot of spin jig blanks too.

If you just want to try something different to gain experience/build up a knowledge bank.....I'm going to suggest a popping blank in the 8-14# or 8-17# range....and a hotshot blank in the lightest power (HS7600 6-12#). The popping blanks are also great for working lures with treble hooks. The hot shot blanks are ultra fast action and cast light weights very well. You will pick it up and thing it is a 4-6# bluegill/crappie rod......yet I promise you it will handle a 20# striped bass provided your reel has a really good drag and you have some finesse in your game. They are a blast and very versatile. Only downside is steel head blanks are pricey (MHX SJ9000-2 is the cheapest but with NFC sale theirs is about the same price and I'd think better). The hs7600 has been a long term favorite for flats fishing in my area. ( try this link [www.rodbuilding.org] )

P.S. if you do get the NFC hs76000....pick up a SJ736....and if those striped bass are getting over 20#'s maybe the MB7109 (the P703/704 are popping blanks). Be advised the SJ703 isn't near as strong as they rate it...more like a light power....6-10# 1/8-1/2 ounce.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Al Jones (---)
Date: February 15, 2021 01:23PM

Russ,
Thank you for the help I'm going to give the rain shadow rclb70xl a try. I do think for what I do I will like a lighter rod
Thanks again!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster