I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC Carbon Fiber Grip ?
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2021 05:50AM

First off not going to complain about NFC being slow to ship again. Now for my questions.

I have on order carbon fiber locking hood covers for Fuji KSKSS16. Has anyone gotten these in hand yet? I am curious as to the opening size. Most other locking hood covers are just that, a cover that goes over the hood and is same I.D. end to end. NFC pic shows the edge of their cover rolled over. Appears as though if might be more like a grip with a smaller I.D. on the one end. NFC specs the I.D. at 9.5mm, as they do with all their grips.

My immediate concern is what I may or may not need for a trim ring/ winding check. Getting ready to place a order soon and would like to figure out what I might have to order.

My other concern is how deep the cover is. Wondering if there is a concern with the hood bottoming out on the threads before being tight on the reel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC Carbon Fiber Grip ?
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 10, 2021 10:01AM

I ordered several of the carbon fiber KDPS hood sleeves and I’m awaiting their arrival. There are two types, one has the carbon fiber rolled around the front much like the CFX hood sleeves. The second appears to have an EVA cap at the front end. In both cases it appears that the front end will require reaming to fit the the blank. Should not be a problem, and no additional trim will be required. As far as bottoming out on the reel seat, that shouldn’t be a problem, since the KDPS hood is quite long and will fit most size 16 reel seat with no issues. If you are concerned about this then put the KDPS hood on the reel seat and see if any threads appear above the hood when completely tightened down. If the do then just trim the threads back until they are flush.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2021 02:45PM

I am getting the covers for the SK2 hood, considerably shorter than the KDPS style hood.I figured on how to fix the issue if the hood bottoms out. Just wondering if I will need to. Going to order an extra seat in just case issues arise while cutting threads.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 10, 2021 03:09PM

The SK2 hidden thread hoods are much shorter, and for most one piece reel seats it will bottom out, same is true for the TVS hidden thread hood. So screw the hood all the way down on the reel seat, and just just cut the excess threads off the reel seat. I use a fine toothed Exacto razor saw for doing this. I use the end of the hood itself as a guide for cutting the threads. Just take your time and rotate the reel seat as you cut. Once cut use a piece of sand paper on a flat surface to smooth up the cut, or use a sanding disk held 90 degrees to the reel seat. I’ve never had a problem doing this. Quite easy to do, so I don’t think you’ll need an extra reel seat, unless you want one for your next build.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---)
Date: February 10, 2021 05:15PM

Thanks for the advice. I am always a bit worried about cutting anything plastic like. Concerned about cracking. Sounds like it is a non issue with these seats.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 10, 2021 09:43PM

The nylon in them make them soft enough not to break out unless you really try.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster