I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice rod guides
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2021 10:20AM

I would like to wrap 2 ice rods that have a very thin upper third of the blank. What's the best way to keep the guides on the blank to begin wrapping them? Would a touch of the glue stick you use to apply tip tops be an option? I'd like to wrap them today.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice rod guides
Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: February 09, 2021 10:42AM

Hi Bruce. Flex coat makes an adhesive for the purpose you mention but in my experience it hasn't proven fruitful. I don't like how the adhesive raises the guide off the blank..then the wrap looks funky. I use very small elastic bands, overlap the band multiple times to make it even smaller then as I slide it down the blank into place it bunches up and even becomes tighter. You can buy these elastics in the hair supply area of a grocery store. There are multiple sizes but the smallest are about 1/4". Then slide the guide foot under the band. I will then use some fly tying head cement and as I tip the guide ring back and the foot raises from the blank I put a very small dab of cement. make sure your guide is where you want it to be. Let this dry for 5-10 and I have had a lot of success that way. Hope that makes sense. Also,leave the elastic band on until it is in the way of you wrapping. Then snip the band off. You probably figured that out but I wanted to make sure.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2021 11:26AM by Todd Andrizzi.

Date: February 09, 2021 10:50AM

I should mention the upper third of these blanks are really slim

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: February 09, 2021 11:06AM

My ice rod blanks were very slim. When you overlap the elastic multiple times at the tip or butt...whichever way you're going, then roll the elastic up or down the rod it tightens and bunches up. Slip the foot under the band, get it into place, tip the guide ring towards the blank making the guide foot come off the blank, put a very small dab of head cement (I use a pin, toothpick) let the ring go and the foot to come down onto the cement, make sure it is in place, wait. My rod was so thin that my guide feet were wider than the blank. It worked 100% of the time I did it. I use these small elastics on every one of my guides while building...not just ice rods. I am not a fan of ice rod building. It takes more patience than I have. A tip...Fenwick elite tech ice rod is about $30 with good guides and seat and feel. I don't think I will ever build another ice rod. I only did it because I had purchased some blanks years ago and had some time.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 09, 2021 12:20PM

Bruce,
By far, the best thing to use are

Dental Ligatures, along with the tool.

For example:

[www.amazon.com]

Then, to remove the ligatures, use a pointed very sharp nipper to cleanly cut the ligatures, once the guide has been 1/2 wrapped.

---------------------------
So, when I use these for wrapping very thin tipped blanks, I slip enough ligatures down the blank to cover all of the guides being wrapped, plus a couple of extras.

Since the ligatures are one piece pieces of elastic, all of the ligatures need to be placed on the blank - adding them from the tip down. Slip the ligatures down the blank to cover the spacing of the guides plus one extra in between each guide in case a mistake is made and you need a 2nd one to hold a guide in place.

The ligature gun makes the installation of the ligatures ultra easy.

------------
If you want to wrap the guides today, just go over to your dentist or orthodontist professional and ask or pay for a dozen ligatures from the folks in the office.

You don't need the tool, you can just start from the tip and roll the ligature down the blank to each of the guide locations. But, the tool makes the job much easier and much quicker.

----------------------------
A thin pointed sharp pair of nippers make the job of removing the nippers easy and fool proof:

[www.google.com]

-------------------
But, if you have an exacto knife with a fresh blade, or a single sided razor blade can be used to cut the ligature when needed. However, One has to be very careful if using a sharp blade to cut the ligature to avoid cutting the wrapping thread at the same time.

If you place one order for 500 ligatures, you will likely not have to place another order for rod wrapping - unless you are in a production builder of thin tipped rods.

Best wishes

Date: February 09, 2021 12:54PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bruce,
> By far, the best thing to use are
>
> Dental Ligatures, along with the tool.
>
> For example:
>
> [www.amazon.com]-
> Color-Tools-Gray-2/dp/B0871W76V5/ref=sr_1_7?dchild
> =1&keywords=braces+ligature+ties+with+tool&pd_rd_r
> =decfe9c5-2ee5-471b-ab76-182769f2b284&pd_rd_w=ABlR
> 1&pd_rd_wg=gOegm&pf_rd_p=9dad86ae-1554-484b-9cc0-f
> 9673b44705e&pf_rd_r=NPD6EQ8FFE86ZGV4BS84&qid=16128
> 90409&sr=8-7
>
> Then, to remove the ligatures, use a pointed very
> sharp nipper to cleanly cut the ligatures, once
> the guide has been 1/2 wrapped.
>
> ---------------------------
> So, when I use these for wrapping very thin tipped
> blanks, I slip enough ligatures down the blank to
> cover all of the guides being wrapped, plus a
> couple of extras.
>
> Since the ligatures are one piece pieces of
> elastic, all of the ligatures need to be placed on
> the blank - adding them from the tip down. Slip
> the ligatures down the blank to cover the spacing
> of the guides plus one extra in between each guide
> in case a mistake is made and you need a 2nd one
> to hold a guide in place.
>
> The ligature gun makes the installation of the
> ligatures ultra easy.
>
> ------------
> If you want to wrap the guides today, just go over
> to your dentist or orthodontist professional and
> ask or pay for a dozen ligatures from the folks in
> the office.
>
> You don't need the tool, you can just start from
> the tip and roll the ligature down the blank to
> each of the guide locations. But, the tool makes
> the job much easier and much quicker.
>
> ----------------------------
> A thin pointed sharp pair of nippers make the job
> of removing the nippers easy and fool proof:
>
> [www.google.com]
> S837&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=thin+pointed+sharp+tip
> +nippers&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjj9OChp93uAhVZZ80KHZjwDk4
> QjJkEegQIARAB&biw=1680&bih=907
>
> -------------------
> But, if you have an exacto knife with a fresh
> blade, or a single sided razor blade can be used
> to cut the ligature when needed. However, One has
> to be very careful if using a sharp blade to cut
> the ligature to avoid cutting the wrapping thread
> at the same time.
>
> If you place one order for 500 ligatures, you will
> likely not have to place another order for rod
> wrapping - unless you are in a production builder
> of thin tipped rods.
>
> Best wishes

Thanks for all of the help. I went right to Amazon and ordered the ligatures and the gun for $10. I was just 3 or 4 heartbeats from committing a crime--very frustrating. I have to laugh now, I spent over 2 hours and still haven't gotten a guide on yet. I figured I start with the tip since it was the hardest.

Date: February 09, 2021 07:24PM

I expect that things will work out well for you.

Posted by: Brian Jackson (---)
Date: February 10, 2021 10:35AM

I have had good luck using the red bands from Mudhole. Once i get all the guides aligned and positioned, i apply a tiny drop of super glue. Let the glue dry 20 minutes or so, then slice bands off and trim excess glue away with an Exacto knife before wrapping. One other note, the red bands come attached to a rubber “holder”. Slide the band down the blank, pull out on the holder and insert the guide foot BEFORE you snap the band off the holder

Date: February 10, 2021 06:10PM

For Roger Wilson, I sent you an email. Bruce

Date: February 10, 2021 06:34PM

Bruce,
The answer is yes.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: February 11, 2021 11:09AM

Besides using ligatures or super glue. to hold your tip guides in place on a noodle rod, either make or buy a tip support for wrapping the tip guides - it makes wrapping the tip guides MUCH easier. "Muddog" makes an add-on support for the Mudhole hand wrapper that is very popular, and there are various DIY designs posted on the web if you do a Google search.

Posted by: Brian Gross (50.226.78.---)
Date: February 11, 2021 02:29PM

Here in Minnesota we use 1/16th 3M masking tape, is can be green and is made for Auto painting.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: February 13, 2021 07:42PM

Sewing stores stock elastic thread - ordinary thread wrapped around a slender string of elastic rubber. Take four or five turns of elastic ahead around one guide foot and tie a square knot in the elastic thread, maintaining tension as you do so. Cut and trim the ends. These elastic wraps will hold your guide foot in place until you take 10 or 15 turns of the wrapping thread you have chosen over the guide foot - at which just touch a razor to an elastic thread to cut it, and it will fly out of your way. Finish wrapping and whip finish your thread as usual. It's a stronger, cleaner, and quicker way to wrap a guide in place than using tape and sticky adhesive.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster