I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Fuji Concept Reduction Guide Spacing...Clear as mud!
Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: February 13, 2021 06:51PM

If any of you guys are still monitoring this, I was reading on Angler's Resource their explanation of "groups" in relation to the reduction train. I am assuming that the guides will form their concentric rings if the guides are purchased as a group and positioned in the spacing recommended by the GPS software or manual measurements. Will they form concentric rings regardless of the spacing? And they also suggest that one can "tweak" the choke guide position by moving "...the bottom of the choke guide ring to the top edge of the last reduction guide" in order to facilitate a smoother directional change the line must make. Forgive me if this sounds dumb, but is this when viewing the pathway with the guide rings facing the ceiling or facing the ground?

How is this actually accomplished? Is it a function of the length of the stem of the guide, or a function of where on the rod it is positioned relative to the last reduction guide?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 13, 2021 07:05PM

"Will they form concentric rings regardless of the spacing?"

No.

"but is this when viewing the pathway with the guide rings facing the ceiling or facing the ground?"

It is when "sighting" down the blank from the butt end, much like you would aim a gun. If you are familiar with aperture sights..... think of 3 ghost ring sights, each smaller in order, and placed increasingly farther from your eye, so they all line up as concentric circles and all center on the front post.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 13, 2021 08:17PM

For me, the easiest way to check if I have a bullseye, is to run the line through the guides, tie on a light weight, let it hang from the tip, and with the rod horizontal, press the line to the bottom of the reel spool. What I want to see is a straight line from the bottom of the spool to the choke guide, and another straight line from the choke guide to the tip top, with the line touching the bottom of each guide. A slight angle entering the stripper is ok. There is a lot of flexibility in putting a guide train together, it is a lot easier than some think. The size groupings for KR reduction guides makes it quite easy.
Norm

Date: February 13, 2021 09:03PM

Thank you guys for your responses. Sighting for the concentricity is not the issue. The issue is what the article is calling a tweaking of the choke guide. There is a diagram of three concentric rings, and then the "bottom" of the choke ring placed so that it looks like it's touching the "top" of the last reduction guide when sighting down the line. I guess my question is what is considered the "top" of a guide, or the "bottom" of a guide? Then, how does one create that illusion of the bottom of the choke guide touching the top of the last reduction guide?

I do not have a clue what one does to make this happen. Is it the size of the guide stem that needs to be just right? Is it where the guide is placed on the blank? The question stems from the "KR Groups" section of the Angler's Resource web site, down at the bottom of the article where there are 4 steps to placing the reduction guides. Step #4 depicts the illustration that I am referring to.

Posted by: Gary Weber (173.241.113.---)
Date: February 14, 2021 02:46PM

Ernie wrote: "and then the "bottom" of the choke ring placed so that it looks like it's touching the "top" of the last reduction guide when sighting down the line. I guess my question is what is considered the "top" of a guide, or the "bottom" of a guide? Then, how does one create that illusion of the bottom of the choke guide touching the top of the last reduction guide?"
You would be looking through the reduction guides from the stripper guide to choke guide ( all the reduction guides taped in place). then you would move ( untape) the choke guide to move it towards the tip of the blank until bottom of the moveable choke guide is aligned so that it looks like the bottom of the choke guide ring is on the top of the top of the stationary last reduction guide.
this movement of the choke guide could be tweaked from its original concentric position to the rings touching position for better (if it looks better to you (longer casts, maybe) it is better). but, you could leave it in the original concentric position if you like, or anywhere in between the two positions.
Hope this cleared some mud!

Date: February 14, 2021 05:12PM

Bingo!

The illusion can be changed by moving the choke guide in one direction or the other. Thanks Gary.

Posted by: Gary Weber (173.241.113.---)
Date: February 14, 2021 09:00PM

you are welcome

Date: February 15, 2021 09:59PM

By the way...are there any special tip tops that go with these guides?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 15, 2021 10:33PM

LG tip tops for the stainless KR guides, and KG Arowana tip tops for the titanium KR guides.
Norm

Date: February 16, 2021 06:35AM

Thanks Norm.

Date: February 16, 2021 08:44AM

I am assuming that the ring size of the tip top should be the same size as the closest running guide to it. Is this so?

Date: February 16, 2021 11:42AM

All the running guides should be the same size, so to answer your question, Yes. Some people like to use a size larger ring for the tip top, but I like to match tip-top ring size to that of the runners.
Norm

Date: February 16, 2021 05:05PM

Norm,

Thanks for the reply.

If I may ask...from where is your e-mail address derived? Are you at a university?

Date: February 16, 2021 08:33PM

I’m an Emeritus (means retired) Professor of Microbiology and Immunology at the Univ. Mississippi Medical Center, and still use the Med Center’s E-mail server.
Norm

Date: February 16, 2021 09:01PM

Always favorite subjects of mine. I was enrolled in a Master's Degree program in immunology at NYU in the late seventies. While there I got accepted to veterinary school, and thirty-eight years and counting later I remain a full time veterinary clinician. I still work like I did when I was practically a kid. The work philosophy and the work ethic of most of the young people I work with are certainly different than those of myself and those my age. "Work" was never a dirty word back then. :-)

Date: February 16, 2021 09:32PM

My nephew is a Vet outside of Atlanta, he is a very hard working person and has a developed a successful practice. Unfortunately, I have to agree with you about the change in work ethic of some that has occurred over the years. However, there still a lot of young people that do take pride in hard work and doing the best they can. I have worked with both types.
Norm

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster