I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anglers Workshop TSP70ML3 1/4-1/2oz
Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bltmmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 08, 2021 09:48AM

Is anyone familiar with the Anglers Workshop travel blank, TSP70ML3? It is 7 foot long, 3pc and rated for 1/4-1/2oz lures.

I am curious to know what your experience has been - what do you use it for? What lure weights does it actually throw well? Did you build it out as a casting or spinning rod? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anglers Workshop TSP70ML3 1/4-1/2oz
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2021 12:31PM

My information is years old because Angler's Workshop was bought and moved to the Midwest, when it was my dealer of choice here in WA and OR those models were some good blanks, made in Woodland, WA. The color mentioned in the catalog is the same, so that personally makes me believe they are more than likely from the same source. So with that in mind I know they were built earlier by Talon Graphite, from IM6 graphite and were very similar in action and power to popping rods. They were continually improved over the years I used them. The ML you mentioned acts very much like the vast majority of 2 power popping rod blanks out there I've used, I built them as spinning rods, but that was just my preference. Those same models were in the Talon Graphite catalog last time I looked.

Date: February 08, 2021 01:00PM

Howdy, Spencer. Good to see you out and about, here on the board. I know the blank was made by Talon and anything I've ever had from them was spot on in terms of lure weights. Almost ridiculously accurate.

I did not intend to order a blank this light. For years I thought I had the next model heavier, the "MH" then looked at some writing on the sleeve that the blank came in which said "ML".

I built the butt section as a casting rod, scoped out guide placement and now wondering is this even going to work?

I have Shimano Calcutta 150D which is an ultra light they don't make anymore, but will this thing throw well as a casting rod?

Thanks,

Tony

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2021 05:59PM

Tony, what were you planning on using that blank for?

It should make a nice blank for treble hook lures up to a half ounce. I'm thinking typical shallow to medium diving crank baits, smaller top waters (Zara puppy, torpedo, PopR, etc.). It should also handle swimming plastics on open hook jigs well up to a 1/4oz head plus the plastic. Basically, a great rod for catching numbers of fish on my local lakes.

The Calcutta 150D should pair nicely with that blank. I wouldn't go larger than a 200 sized reel with that blank with those ratings, but a 50-200 Shimano casting reel would work nicely.

Date: February 08, 2021 07:33PM

Howdy, Spencer. Good to see you out and about, here on the board. I know the blank was made by Talon and anything I've ever had from them was spot on in terms of lure weights. Almost ridiculously accurate.

I did not intend to order a blank this light. For years I thought I had the next model heavier, the "MH" then looked at some writing on the sleeve that the blank came in which said "ML".

I built the butt section as a casting rod, scoped out guide placement and now wondering is this even going to work?

I have Shimano Calcutta 150D which is an ultra light they don't make anymore, but will this thing throw well as a casting rod?

Thanks,

Tony

Date: February 08, 2021 07:40PM

Hi, Joe.

We are still trying to figure out if it is a TSP70ML3 or a TSP70MH3 rated at 3/8-3/4oz, which I always thought it was, until I saw that someone wrote "TSP70ML3" on the sleeve that the blank came in.

If it is the TSP70ML3, I was going to use it for throwing #10 Rapalas or Mepps #4 or # spinners for Walleye, Lake Trout, Pickerel or even Northern Pike. I was also going to use it for dropping 1/4-1/2oz jigs with twister tails over the side of the boat for Walleye.

If it is the slightly "heavier" version TSP70MH3 that is rated for 3/8-3/4oz then basically the same thing but without 1/4oz jig heads and maybe with 3/4oz spoons like a Daredevle or a Len Thompson. Of course, if it's a popping blank like Spencer said, I could so some stick baits or small topwater.

I cannot wait to see what it throws!

Thanks,

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster