I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Steelhead blank search
Posted by: Joseph Bovee (---)
Date: February 04, 2021 11:26PM

Hello, I’m looking for a 9’6” rod blank with an extra fast action. It will be used as a steelhead chuck and duck rod with a fly reel with 8lb test mono as the leader line. This is for a customer who has been using a 25-30 year old 9’6” custom saltwater sage fly rod. He has been using with about 3-4” of the tip broken off and is looking for something new and what I described. I seem to be having trouble finding a 9’6” rod blank that has/or “labeled” xtra fast action.
Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steelhead blank search
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2021 05:04AM

Here is a 9 foot option. ST1083F-MHX from mudhole. Would extending the blank for the rear grip an option? Six inches ain't much to add. Option from NFC, St 964-2 (HM), gives you the length but is listed as fast action.

Date: February 05, 2021 10:25AM

I currently have the nfc st 964-2 (IM) blank but it’s not fast enough for his preference. I also see that sage has the 9’0 xf action Igniter blank. I personally haven’t ever extended the rear grip before but that could be an option.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: February 05, 2021 10:41AM

how much weight will he be using?

Date: February 05, 2021 11:21AM

Herb, he will be using minimal weight. Of course it changes with the water conditions. Usually about 1/8-1/4 oz of weight plus the weight of hook and spawn sack. The rivers are normally pretty small. 2-7’ deep and 20-40ft wide.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: February 05, 2021 12:26PM

Joseph,.
I just took a #10, 9'0" CTS Affinity-X (Extra Fast) fly blank - attached a 1/4 oz of pennies and extended the butt 6" - held the blank where the grip would be - feels perfect to flip that weight. just on the tip.
I Also tried it on a #9. The #9 would be good if he wants to make it a little more of a "lob".

An out-and-out lob would be the #7

Herb

Date: February 05, 2021 01:59PM

Thank you Herb, I sent you an email.

Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---)
Date: February 05, 2021 02:09PM

Rainshadow eternity II are nice blanks in XF action. My 8 wt cc around a 10wt so keep that in mind

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: February 05, 2021 07:04PM

How about Arctos 9 foot 3 inch or 10ft. 3 inch? Termed fast but not extra fast, tho.

Date: February 05, 2021 07:25PM

This site indicates they have TFO TiCrx blanks still available. 9 foot. I have a TiCrX 9 foot 5 weight. These rods are quite stiff and are cannons. So for Steelies or salmon I could see one working quite well. Nice blue asthetics , too. Reviews for trout fishing were very mixed, but lots of positive reviews for salt or for large fish. Old blanks but might work for you. [www.burfish.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2021 03:16PM by david taylor.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2021 10:45AM

It's going to be hard comparing a broken tip rod to one that isn't, his rod is no longer x fast after losing that much tip. It was probably a Sage RPLXI in that time period, not what I would call X fast in their lineup, the 9 footers were faster and fit the description better. There is a considerable difference between what people feel and what is when it comes to action.

Posted by: Ron Beloff (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2021 03:42PM

I've built a Lamiglas SI 9'6" steelhead/large river trout rod and it handles 1/2 oz very easily. Super light with a KR build and cast 6 or 8 lb mono very long distances.

Posted by: Joseph Bovee (---.sub-174-230-6.myvzw.com)
Date: February 07, 2021 09:29AM

Thanks guys, your inputs are much appreciated as always.
Spencer, he wants a faster rod than what his sage is.
Ron, I don’t really think the lamiglas is quite fast enough for what he’s looking for.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 07, 2021 01:34PM

Joseph,
Are we sure he knows what an X fast blank really is? My X fast Sage TCR 8 wt. is a marginal chuck and duck rod, my G Loomis GL3 8 wt. I use for throwing sink tips is far better.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 07, 2021 03:50PM

I have found an 8 weight "Brand X Whiplash Fly Rod Blank" to be a mediocre performer at best, while a 9 weight "Brand X Whiplash Fly Rod Blank" is a truly superior performer. Am I imagining things?

Date: February 07, 2021 08:44PM

A rod with 4" off the top is going to feel a bit boardy. I would have hit cast a very fast rod before he determnes that is what he wants.

Date: February 07, 2021 09:56PM

It sure would be nice to have one of each of these blanks on hand and be able to let clients handle each one so they can choose what blank they prefer. That is actually my goal.

Spencer, I’m sure he knows what xf action is, and I know why you ask, I work in the fish department at Jays sporting goods as well as build rods and most of the people I talk to in there doesn’t know what the “action” of a rod is. They think that the power of a rod is called action.

Date: February 07, 2021 09:57PM

David, I agree

Posted by: Rick Van Camp (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2021 07:23AM

Joseph,

My response may be late but I thought I would reply nonetheless. This is primarily because I am finding the 9' 6" blank length more than challenging to identify. The 10' 8 wt seems more readily available but I am uncomfortable with the additional 6" for swing weight/fatigue reasons. You may want to look at Bloke Fly Rod blanks. I just purchased Mick Bell's XGnP 9' 6" 9 wt blank but have yet to receive them. I would describe these as on the fast end of the fast range - according to Mick's description. Mick has several blanks available so you will find them easy to locate with a Internet search. They are not listed on the Bloke Rods website. The XGnP is supposed to feature a lot of feedback and bend in all the right places.

I noticed Burkheimer has some 9' 5" blanks but these are out of my price range for the time being. The only other potential option I have identified is the Pacific Bay Arctos IM7 9' 3" 9 wt blank you commented about earlier in this discussion. I wish CTS made blanks in this length. CTS is known quality and blanks are far less costly than those from the OEMs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2021 07:33AM by Rick Van Camp.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster