I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Components for Power Noodle
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2021 08:01AM

[www.mudhole.com]

Would someone recommend some low-price components I can outfit this ice rod blank with? It's a $16 blank and I don't want to spend $50 for the components.
I haven't built any ice rods in 10 years. maybe.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Components for Power Noodle
Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: February 03, 2021 12:36PM

Hey Bruce, I just did a couple ice rods. One a noodle and the other graphite. I. will never do a noodle again! Too hard to work with. I'm sure you guys that are more experienced can do them easily. I came real close to busting it in a bunch of pieces. Mudhole has a lot of ice guide sets and handle kits. I just buy a stripping guide then use fly running guides and a fly tip top. I had some cork I hadn't used so cut it down to make a short handle and used a 16 spinning seat. It didn't cost much at all. Other than the enjoyment of building and the pride of the work...a person can't build much cheaper ice rods for the price you can buy one. Good luck with the noodle!

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 03, 2021 04:52PM

Copy Todd's comments.
A premade eva or cork grip to use as a tennessee style grip. i.e. simply tape the small reel to the grip.

Depending on the length of the rod, 3-4 guides at 50 cents each.

Note: Here is a little accessory that one can use to assist when working with the tip section of a noodle tipped rod:

Just make one of these:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The rod rest is simply a piece of ice rod blank. I use a dremel tool with an abrasive cut off wheel to cut a notch into the end of the blank that is as wide as the width of the rod blank that you wish to support.
The base is just a piece of cutting board, but you can use anything. Drill a correctly sized hole in the material and poke the notched blank into the hole. Trim the length of the blank so that the rod, when it is resting in the notch - sit level with the rest of the rod blank.
Because there is not a down wheel on top of the rod, you will need to do your wrapping from below the rod, to avoid pulling the rod out of the rest.

But, by using a rod rest like this, you can eliminate all of the bend that goes on with a very thin noodle ice rod tip when wrapping the tip section of the rod.

If you like, you can make a rest for a pair of notched rod rests to allow you to have close supports on each side of the guide that you are wrapping like this:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Same base, just one more notched blank in an additional hole drilled in the base. When, I built this, I drilled about a dozen holes spaced an inch apart so one can easily adjust the distance between the rod blank supports.

Date: February 03, 2021 05:43PM

I like that set up Roger. I would have liked that when I was doing mine.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 03, 2021 07:02PM

Maybe glue the guide in place and use a fly tying bobbin to wrap them on..

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2021 04:51AM

Did a few ice rods over the years. Nothing as light as a noodle, but still light enough that it was pain to wrap due to all the flex. I stiffened the blank up with some thin aluminum rod. I used two pieces. Cut them to whatever length I needed to run the length of the blank. Taped them fore and aft of the guide I was wrapping. Leaving a gap just wide enough for the area that i was going to wrap. It turned a little funky but was way easier than dealing with all the flex.

Date: February 04, 2021 09:20AM

Hi Ben, The bobbin is a good idea. On my smaller blanks or closer to the tip of the blanks I have used small elastics that girls use on their hair. I think that's what the elastics are for because they are that Goody brand. Some of the elastics are only 1/4" ID. I overlap the elastic multiple times at one end of the blank and then as It is rolled down to the desired spot, the elastic actually tightens. I can place the guide foot under the elastic and then I get a very small amt. of head cement, tip the guide ring back bringing the foot up and place a small dab of cement on the under side of the foot. Let it dry and the wrap goes very easily with no movement. That still doesn't fish the softness of the blank...especially on a noodle. Roger showed a cool set up to help with that issue.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2021 06:37PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Copy Todd's comments.
> A premade eva or cork grip to use as a tennessee
> style grip. i.e. simply tape the small reel to
> the grip.
>
> Depending on the length of the rod, 3-4 guides at
> 50 cents each.
>
> Note: Here is a little accessory that one can use
> to assist when working with the tip section of a
> noodle tipped rod:
>
> Just make one of these:
>
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> p/photo/8278/title/ice-rod-drying-7-double-pole-st
> and/cat/500
>
> The rod rest is simply a piece of ice rod blank.
> I use a dremel tool with an abrasive cut off wheel
> to cut a notch into the end of the blank that is
> as wide as the width of the rod blank that you
> wish to support.
> The base is just a piece of cutting board, but you
> can use anything. Drill a correctly sized hole in
> the material and poke the notched blank into the
> hole. Trim the length of the blank so that the
> rod, when it is resting in the notch - sit level
> with the rest of the rod blank.
> Because there is not a down wheel on top of the
> rod, you will need to do your wrapping from below
> the rod, to avoid pulling the rod out of the rest.
>
>
> But, by using a rod rest like this, you can
> eliminate all of the bend that goes on with a very
> thin noodle ice rod tip when wrapping the tip
> section of the rod.
>
> If you like, you can make a rest for a pair of
> notched rod rests to allow you to have close
> supports on each side of the guide that you are
> wrapping like this:
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> p/photo/8277/title/ice-rod-drying-6-double-pole-st
> and/cat/500
>
> Same base, just one more notched blank in an
> additional hole drilled in the base. When, I
> built this, I drilled about a dozen holes spaced
> an inch apart so one can easily adjust the
> distance between the rod blank supports.

That's a great idea, Roger, thanks.

Posted by: Bruce Frierdich (---)
Date: February 08, 2021 05:40PM

I was going to offer similar thoughts. Buy some cork handles off the @#$%& site. Mudhole, Jann's Netcraft, and a few others sell components or buy a cheap rod on sale and salvage the guides. Tape the reel on rather than using a reel seat. Wrapping is easy but putting the epoxy finish can be a little tricky. Watch a few videos on youtube. Good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster