I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old topic, new question on under wraps
Posted by: Paul Schenkenberger (---)
Date: February 01, 2021 09:44PM

OK, sorry to go back to this well discussed topic but I can't find anything related to the weight of the line vs. a couple grams of under wrap and finish on the guides.
After a little thought it seems to me that once you have a few feet of line out past the tip it will far outweigh any guide under wraps that were done (assuming nothing ridiculously heavy was done).
Won't the affect of a couple grams of under wrap be far overshadowed by the leverage and damping of the action effect from the line? Even a 3wt line weighs +/- 33 grams in 10 feet, and close to 100 grams in 30 feet.
Any comments concerning this are welcomed. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old topic, new question on under wraps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2021 11:11PM

No, the additional weight that underwraps add is carried full time by the rod. It is noticeable, very much so unless we're talking very heavy, stiff and powerful rods. The line beyond the rod tip has nowhere near the same effect on the rod.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.net.kent.edu)
Date: February 02, 2021 08:45AM

Paul, try this. The weight differences that you are talking about are similar to the weight differences between a micro guide train on a typical bass casting rod vs a traditionally sized guide train. To illustrate the difference, you can reason that the center of mass of the guide train, or thread wraps will be somewhere around 2/3 of the way up the blank from the butt. Take a raw blank, or even a rod that is wrapped without under wraps and go through the casting motion and pay attention to how it responds. Quickly snap the rod up and down and see how long it takes for the rod to naturally damp the vibrations. You can be as qualitative or as quantitative as you want here.

Now, a 1/4 oz weight has a mass of about 7 g, so if you want something closer to 3 g, an 1/8 oz weight will do. Tape the 1/4 or 1/8 oz weight at that point about 2/3 of the way up the rod blank. Now repeat the casting motion and snapping of the blank up and down. You should notice that the blank responds more slowly and takes a longer time to damp vibrations. Even though you are distributing that extra mass along the blank, it has the same effect as placing that same mass at its center of mass. If the rod is finished, try the same thing casting your favorite fly line with the rod. You should be able to note a distinct difference.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: February 02, 2021 09:06AM

Seldom does a 3 wt. rod have to cast more than 40 feet of line, so the loss in casting efficiency which inevitably results from the unnecessary excess weight of decorative wraps will likely go unnoticed. But I doubt the conflict between form and function will ever go away.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: February 02, 2021 09:35AM

> But I doubt the conflict between art
> and function will ever go away.

And that is why I am biting my tongue and avoiding this one! Tom spoke for some us!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2021 09:44AM by Kent Griffith.

Date: February 02, 2021 09:52AM

Thanks for the responses!
After reading some other forums and articles, and my personal experience, I am getting the impression everyone compares the difference in rod action between with or without under wraps by false casting with no line.
I seldom fish with no fly line out, just shaking my rod at the water....although the fish seem to think so at times...yuk, yuk
I am still curious about the mostly universal belief that the fly line beyond the tip has little effect on the rod compared with the couple grams of extra weight from under wraps. Bear with me, my logic may be faulty, but it seems if that was true then fly line weights would make little, if any, difference in how a rod performs/feels. I personally do notice a difference in feel and performance when using one weight of line over, or under, with the same fly rod.
Joe, I haven't tried adding weight to the rod and doing some casts with a fly line like you suggest. That seems like a great test and thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.

Date: February 02, 2021 02:59PM

Under wraps will undermine the speed (reaction and recovery) on lighter rods more than on heavier rods. On a 3-weight you simply don't want under wraps anywhere near that rod.

The fly line loads the rod during the casting motion, not after it.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 02, 2021 05:13PM

The rod provides the speed and inertia to the line and thus distance to the cast. The more weight is located toward the tip of the rod and thus leveraged the more poorly the rod casts. Beauty is strictly in the mind of the beholder, while distance and direction can be measured. Most people settle for some sort of trade-off. I would suggest wrapping the entire rod with thread and covering the thread with epoxy is an extreme measure in the pursuit of beauty.

Date: February 02, 2021 08:00PM

I apologize for opening "Pandora's Box". It is not quite as contentious of a topic as glass vs. bamboo vs. composite/graphite, but it seems close! It certainly warrants some experimentation so I can speak from personal experience in the future.
Tom, please forgive my ignorance but when you refer to "reaction and recovery" are you referring to the moment just before the line loads the rod on either forward or back casts?
I appreciate the responses from you all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2021 08:07PM by Paul Schenkenberger.

Date: February 02, 2021 10:22PM

I'm talking about the time between your input transfers into rod movement, and when your input stops, how long it takes the rod to recover to straight. Underwraps affect this more than you'd think, particularly on a very light rod such as a 3-weight fly rod.

Date: February 03, 2021 09:36AM

Got it, thanks Tom

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 06, 2021 12:18PM

Just thinking out loud..thread weighs nothing, so the underwrap gets the weight from the applied epoxy but don,t some builders seal the wraps with CP including the overwraps and appply epoxy only as a top coat and no more, unlike many who saturate top to bottom with epoxy?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster