I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

trivial question
Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: January 30, 2021 08:58PM

I have wondered what the material is and why it sometimes is there and other times not. Can someone tell me why the tip end pieces of a blank are sometimes plugged with what seems to be a clay like material and other times left open. I would think it is a strength issue but then why isn't it in all blanks?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: trivial question
Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 30, 2021 09:10PM

I haven't seen many rods plugged with things...maybe it is to keep grit, dirt, water from getting inside the tube?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: January 30, 2021 09:29PM

Todd,
I have not seen male ferrules unplugged in quality blanks,
many times they become dislodged - iMO - because of the mold release used to separate the blank from the mandrel.
I refill the tip with GOOP or Shoe Goo or silicone.
It does keep grit rom entering the section and getting down to the female ferrule.
Herb

Date: January 30, 2021 10:18PM

Thanks Herb and Derick. I think I will put something in the tips of rods that are not plugged. Seems logical not only for keeping crap out but most likely adds a little strength.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2021 10:32PM

There should be a plug of some sort in the open end of any male ferrule. The tendency for open ended tubes to crush or collapse at that point is high. Put a plug of cork, EVA or a dab of RodBond in the open end.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 31, 2021 11:36PM

Todd,
Could it simply be residue from the factory wet-sanding the blank? That may explain the “clay” like appearance. I am not certain but I am here to learn!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: February 01, 2021 11:35AM

No Mark, it is not due to any residue. It is on the inside, tip of the sections of most blanks and rods that I have seen. The cheaper blanks seem to be void of the material. It is something done for a purpose. Both Tom and Herb mentioned it is for a reason and better to be plugged. It is a solid, hard material. I am an old nurse and back in the day we used to draw blood in a tube and then poke the end of the tube into a claylike material to plug one end so we could spin the blood down and separate the serum and cells. That's exactly what seems to me to have been done...then the clay hardens.I would bet in the factories they have some material like that to just stick the blank into the material once or twice and it fills the end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2021 12:00PM by Todd Andrizzi.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster