I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need your Help Blue Fishing set up on the East Coast
Posted by: Ron Fletcher (---.rk.wavecable.com)
Date: January 29, 2021 07:13PM

I am going to build a rod for my Adult Grand Son who lives on the East Coast this rod will be for Blue Fishing and some strippers from a boat casting top water lures. He uses a Penn Fierce 2 6000 LL spinning reel with a 6.5 foot MH Rod. I live on the West Coast and only use conventional reels for Sturgeon and Strippers and Bait casting reels Black Bass. I told him that once he gets used to Conventional casting reels he will never go back to a spinning reel. It just takes Practice and since he is young he has plenty of time to master a casting reel. And he will have Less tangles, better smother drag, etc. I have learned so much from this site and I sure could use your help. I am thinking about trying a Rainshadow blank but am open to any suggestions. Is there a good casting Rod and reel set up. Or would it be better to stick with a spinning set up?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need your Help Blue Fishing set up on the East Coast
Date: January 29, 2021 10:20PM

What's the best rod blank for this type fishing? Casting or spinning. I prefer a lighter blank I like to fight a fish rather than horse them in. But I know that's not for everyone.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 30, 2021 06:21AM

In low profile baitcasters for serious saltwater, I think your three main choices are Tranx, Lexa, and Komodo.

For plug casting I'd suggest the Tranx or Lexa. If bottom fishing was more of the concern, then the Komodo is worth looking into. Curado if the fish are under 10 pounds.

It would be nice to convince him to go with a longer rod. Make sure it works for storage in the boat and transport in the car. I recently picked up a NFC MB7109. One ounce plugs would cast well and it has plenty of tip for popper type plugs. Would also do for tog and fluke.

IMHO this gear is on the heavy side for blues but in line with what he is currently using. All depends on the fish. A medium action 7' rod with a curado would be light and fun for the small/medium blues but get a 30# stripper and you would be under gunned.

I'd err on the heavier side. Worst case is he uses it more as a bottom fishing conventional reel. In time he may discover it can toss a 2 ounce plug a 100 yards.

I admire and agree with you. I'll just say trying to force a spinning reel angler into casting gear can meet with resistance. Ditto on a parent trying to get a kid to see their way is the better way.

I'd probably play the end around. Fly down for a fishing trip with his new rod/reel. Build him something like a RodGeeks C2SW70MHF and pair it with a Stradic 4000/Saragosa 5000. You build something like NFC MB765-1 Xray Neo with a Tranx 3000/4000.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 30, 2021 03:46PM

Chopper blues on a nine weight fly rod are a hoot.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 30, 2021 07:58PM

My dearly departed mother once told me to bite my tongue. And so I shall.

Posted by: George Christman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2021 09:48AM

This is in my wheelhouse. Absolutely you would help him raise his fishing game by encouraging him to learn to fish with a conventional outfit.....BUT not for bluefish.

Bluefish like stuff fast, particularly top water, and spinning does this more easily than conventional. The plugs are typically aerodynamic, distance a priority, so fast action blanks are the norm. Plug size is not very important and anything that can throw up to 1.5oz will work fine. 6.5-7.5' rods are fine. A 5000HG reel is good. I don't suggest going the high speed conventional route.

Striped bass and bottom fish are a different story. For this, a 7.5 conventional (ideally with a moderate action rod like the old Lami GSB/GLB stuff) is ideal. That can be hard to find, nowadays. A fast action musky blank will work although the softer tip of a fast action rod acts like a shock absorber and makes working large plugs well a bit more difficult. When striped bass fishing the plugs (or eels which he'll eventually want to try) are often 2-3oz so you want a blank often rated as "moderately heavy" . 20# fireline (the old gray fused stuff) is the way to go. By far I find this the most useful setup for inshore NE saltwater fishing.

False albacore are also a very popular target in the NE. Something fast action and light in the 6.6-7ft range rated for 3/8-1oz with a 3500 or 4000HG reel and thin 15-20# braid would likely be well received if he encounters this fishery.

Posted by: Ron Fletcher (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 05, 2021 11:05PM

Thanks for the input I thought I had it figured out and my grandson said that he wanted to try a conventional baitcaster setup. So I was going with the set up below for Bluefish plus an occasional striper in the mix. He tosses a SP Minnow 1 7/8oz , 6 3/4" long and other lures from 1 to 3 oz. But that is why I asked this question. I have never fished Bluefish and need all of your advice along with youtube and any other sites that I can get information from. I haven't bought anything yet I'm still trying to decide.

Daiwa Lexa 400HD 7:1 Ratio I like the distance between the spool and the level wind. The extra room will help when he gets backlashes as he is learning to cast.
Rainshadow RX 6 Graphite and E glass RCLB70L-CG , Line 15-30, 3/4-3oz. Lure.
Alps Single Trigger Alum Reel Seat with split grip
ALPS MXN Guides.

Posted by: George Christman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2021 12:46PM

I'll respectfully suggest you rethink your blank choice. That one sounds like a tuna blank and is likely way, way more rod (and weight) than needed for bluefish (or the reel choice). I am not familiar with rainshadow blanks but after quick glance at their RX offerings blanks like the RX MB 846 or 946 (maybe with a few inches off the butt) sound much more like what I'd consider. The JDGCB710xh-CG or REVM710MH look like good choices as well. My experience has been that a rod rated to 2oz will do fine with 3 oz when thrown conventionally provided I slow down my stroke a bit. Learning will be easier the slower the rod (so throwing near its upper range is desirable). One of the appeals of conventional tackle is the power it provides in light packages. I'd err on the lighter side rather than heavier side. He'll enjoy it more, I think.

PS.
For the little it's worth, I find the Fuji trigger seats all I've ever needed. Aluminum gets cold in the shoulder parts of the season.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 07, 2021 03:12PM

I agree with George. Both of his posts.

I have the RCLB in 7' ML and 8' XL. They are nice budget composite live bait blanks. Not what I would choose for working plugs or bottom fishing.

I say do it right and build two solutions.

A 4000 spinning reel with a 7 to 7.5' fast action blank in the 8-17 to 10-20# range. Make it a nice light outfit. Would be a pleasure to fish for the blues and albies.

A 400HD with a 7.5 to 9' moderate action blank in the 15-30 to 20-40 range with a casting weight of 1-3 oz or 2-4 oz.

FWIW I have a stradic Ci4 4000 mounted on a St. Scroix inshore 7' M rod (8-17#). Just went and felt it. It is a little tip heavy and that wouldn't be ideal for working plugs. NFC has been running some killer sales and I have bought in. Your son seems to like shorter rods and they offer the SJ 685-1 Xray (also offered in 7'6" and 7'2"). It is 6'8" with a 10-20#, 3/8-1oz rating, with a published blank weight of 1.7 ounces. I have their SJ 736-1 Xray and is definitely a much nicer blank than the St. Croix 2 series inshore. With 50% off and free carbon grips the prices are comparable.

Wow, listen to me:) Six months ago I wouldn't have done business with NFC and now I'm sounding like a shill!

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: February 11, 2021 10:07PM

Thanks again for the input. I was looking for something that can Cast 3 oz. . The RX 6 MB 846 looks like a good set up and if a rod that can cast 1/2 to 2 oz will do the job that's great. I would rather stay on the lighter side. But my grandson thinks he likes the heavier set up. So I'm trying to meat in the middle. So I am leaning toward the MB 846. I agree about the Fuji trigger seats but was just trying to add to the rod with Alum. trigger. I also agree with slowing down the stroke. You can cast all day with no problems but Whenever you go for it trying to cast a little bit further you will get a backlash. The NFC blanks look like a great Rod but the cost is up there. Thanks again

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster