I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Has anyone cut down a g2 handle from12” to 10”?
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: January 29, 2021 06:26PM

Has anyone cut down the American tackle g2 12” handle to 10”? If so did you cut from the reel seat side, the butt or both? To me it looks like the red seat side would be the best option.

Yes I know they have the adjustable version but the individual doesn’t care for it’s look.

Thanks
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Has anyone cut down a g2 handle from12” to 10”?
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2021 08:25AM

I have one of the adjustable ones, assuming that the dimensions of the flare are similar on the nonadjustable ones, to get down to 10 inches, you will have to cut from both ends. I have about 1.5" at the butt ben before the taper starts, and about 1" at the reel seat end before the taper starts. This much of a trim might get to the point where it affects the ergonomics of the handle.

You might be able to get the individual on board with the adjustable using a little trick to make the trim ring look a little more intentional. I wrapped my hook keeper just behind the trim ring and located it on the reel handle side of the rod. Even if the person has large hands, the keeper will be located on a part of the handle that won't interfere with their grip.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 30, 2021 09:56AM

NFC has a 9.75” version, their 1K EFX looks very similar to the G2 3K. With the split EFX grips the AT trim fits perfectly, don’t know if it’s also true for the full length grips. The only problem with NFC is you don’t know how long you will wait. Sometimes they are fast sometime they aren’t. I have to say their customer service has gotten better.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2021 11:16AM

Norm, I get my grips from NFC in 3 - 5 days.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 30, 2021 01:26PM

Spencer, I have also gotten my grips in 3 to 4 day. If fact the first time I placed a grip order they were shipped the same day. The last couple of orders have taken about 2 to 3 weeks or so. I have wanted as long as 4 months to get an order. However, I order most things in anticipation of use, so a delay of a couple of weeks doesn't bother me too much, but most people order things they need right away. So as I said sometime they are fast and sometimes they aren't.
Norm

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: January 31, 2021 05:34PM

Thank you Gentlemen I will give both solutions provided a try and see which I prefer! I very much appreciate the help and your time.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster