I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultralight Rod Blank
Posted by: Mike Stephens (---)
Date: January 29, 2021 04:11PM

Hey guys I would like to get some suggestions for an Ultra Light blank. I plan on using it for wading for trout in the river throwing rooster tails and such. probably in the 5'6' length range. I just finished a Carbon 4 series medium 6' and I was real pleased with how that rod feels. There is a Carbon 2 series has a 5'6" UL. How do those compare to the C-4.

Thanks for recommendations

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultralight Rod Blank
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: January 29, 2021 04:27PM

What weight rooster tails?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 29, 2021 04:40PM

Unless you are constrained by a lot of brush and need a blank that short, consider a much longer blank for better casting, better hook sets. Rainshadow Revelation has two blanks that can be considered, one a one piece, one a two piece. I've built the two piece, very nice.

There are shorter options in the Revelation line.

Date: January 29, 2021 06:20PM

most will be 1/8 some 3/16. for the most part there will be plenty of room but there are some areas I like to fish where I am dealing with brush.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2021 06:22PM by Mike Stephens.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 29, 2021 06:37PM

I don't have ant Carbon 4 Rod Geeks models but I have made and sold a few Carbon 2 models and I really like how they perform . I agree about going with a longer rod for wading and casting , the absolute shortest I can tolerate is 7'6" but I much prefer 8 feet because it really makes a significant difference in casting ability and is still featherlight .

If you can cast and are satisfied with a blank under 6 feet that's fantastic and more power to you .

Enjoy

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2021 06:47PM

NFC, in the freshwater section, has some blanks you might be interested in. One of the few places I see 1-4# blanks in 2 piece offerings. Considering the blanks I have gotten seem to be rated a little stronger than they are I'd think they are ultra-ultra UL's:)

Once you "add them to the cart" you will see the actual price. There is a flat shipping fee of $30 so it makes sense to get more than one blank.

If you decide to go that route there are a number of their blanks the good folks here would suggest you try, depending on what all you fish for. Certainly you need at least another dozen rods or you wouldn't be frequenting such a place as this!

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 29, 2021 07:04PM

I really like the MHX UL blanks, they come in I or 2 pieces from 5’ to 7’. They are a great bang for the buck, plus their warranty is excellent. MHX also makes a three piece travel UL blanks.
Norm

Date: January 29, 2021 07:04PM

Thanks Russ. Most of the fishing I do is in the Crystral River area. We mostly use 7' M - MH with 2500-3000 size Stradics. Before I started building my go to rods are either Loomis or St.C. So far I havent been saving much money on building my own but I am getting some cooler looking rods. On this next build I will probably pick up a Stradic 1000 to use. Hopefully I can find an Fj. I will check out NFC tonight.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 29, 2021 07:07PM

Double post.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2021 07:12PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2021 02:24AM

Last couple years I have become a bit of a brook trout junkie. Been searching for the perfect blank. I have built two that are about as close to perfect as you can get in my opinion. Skip the 5' 6" step up to a 6 foot. Not enough extra length to be a hindrance but that extra 6 inches really makes a difference in performance.

First blank I built was NFC FW 602-1 (Delta LMX). Six foot mod fast light 1/32 to 1/8 1-4 lb line. I would say the blank leans just a touch more to the fast side of action. Probable the perfect all around stream trout rod. Soft enough for spinners. Fast enough if you drift live bait. I do both. Also fast enough to make those precision snap casts often needed on trout streams. If I only could have one rod this would be it for stream trout.

Next blank I built was a Phenix Elixer FX601-1-B. Six foot fast action no power rating, 1/32-1/4 1-6 lb line. Ratings put it as a more powerful blank. From fishing both I would put them about equal. My reasoning for the build was I wanted a faster action for live bait and I wanted a lighter rod weight wise. Blank is about 15 percent lighter and I did everything I could to make the build as light as possible. Excellent rod for live bait. On the slower side of fast action but definitely faster than the NFC. Extremely sensitive. While I have fished spinners with it I think a slower rod is a better choice. Personal preference though. If your dead set on 5'6" Phenix does offer a similar spec blank in that length.

I am in the process of building my latest stream rod. Needed something for tiny backwoods streams. Amazing the fish some streams that are no more than three feet wide can hold. I am building on a NFC FW 461-1(IM). Only 4'6" and a bit slower than I wanted but a very nice blank. Should be fun and perfect for crawling through the brush with.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 30, 2021 02:31PM

Hello All.

My personal favorite is:

MFR Model Lgth Line Lure Weight Butt Tip Action Power Blk Wt
Phenix MF611-1-B 6' 1" 1-5# 1/32+1/8oz 0.252 3.5 Moderate Ultra Lite .70oz

It's a real fun rod.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 30, 2021 07:31PM

Batson Revelation are worth a look.

Date: January 30, 2021 10:14PM

Thanks guys. Great info now a lot of choices. I looked at the NFC and actually have a couple rods in my cart, with the sale price you cant go wrong. I will check out the Phenix blanks.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2021 11:36PM

My favorite small stream and trout rod is a 5' 3" E glass blank rated 1 - 4 lb. line from Fenwick, I've never thought I was at a disadvantage when the rod is so light and line distances are so short. The slow response time of the blank helped with my accuracy and ability to get in all the tiny spots on a spot the bass anglers talk about.

Posted by: Mike Dimino (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 01, 2021 09:35AM

I am very happy with the Elixer line from Phenix. i have built on a few now but the 5'6" ultralight is my go to stream trout rod. Everyone who has tried it has asked for one.

Date: February 09, 2021 10:57PM

thanks for all the suggestions. I ordered one of the Phenix Elixer blanks. Looks like I finally might be able to build a rod for under $200. :) That remains to be seen though..

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 11, 2021 01:16PM

Like Spencer said, glass is fun to cast..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster