I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decal rise solutions
Posted by: Edward McGregor (161.69.123.---)
Date: January 29, 2021 03:56PM

Hi all -
First time poster ...longtime creep. I have a build that i'm trying to get going but am hesitant about the decal because of the rise. The decal is a must in this build. The rod is a graphite blank with a painted finish, i'm wondering if someone might entertain my idea to reduce any major bulkiness around the decal (1/128th of an inch thick - it's almost like cardstock)

First thought:
- Mark boundaries of decal placement on blank with tape
- Rub down painted finish to bare graphite with acetone
- Light paint coat (spray paint to hide decal negative space on blank)
- Thin 1/3 DNA 2/3 resin hardener epoxy base coat
- Decal placement
- Edge wrapped
- CP coat
- Thin 1/3 DNA 2/3 resin hardener epoxy base coat

Does this make any sense? Or should I just bite the rise...

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2021 04:03PM by Edward McGregor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal rise solutions
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2021 04:04PM

No idea why you'd thin the epoxy.

Try this - apply the decal and then make a tight thread wrap over it, end to end. Let that reside for maybe a day or two. Remove the thread, apply a coat of CP, let dry and finish as normal. It may require two coats.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 29, 2021 04:20PM

Tom is correct. You may also may want to put a level coat of epoxy down first, let it cure and then apply the decal. Do what Tom says after that. If the rod blank has a flat finish (not shiny), this works best.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 29, 2021 09:08PM

Edward,
Great replies and advice above. At the risk of sounding rude, you are trying making a simple procedure much more difficult than necessary. While there are those (even veterans) who attempt to thin epoxy, doing so is treading on thin ice! Additionally, DNA is not a suitable “solvent” for most epoxies as is acetone. Simply use a thin version of thread epoxy on the blank, let cure, apply decal, apply an overcoat of epoxy (you will probably discover a second will ultimately look nicer) and you’re done.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2021 10:06PM

Something amiss here, no decal is that thick! You must be including the backing which will eventually be removed, even heavy pressure sensitive decals are less the .005 thick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2021 12:55AM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 29, 2021 10:34PM

I agree with Phil. Many decals are sandwiched between two plastic layers. When you peel away the bottom layer the decal's adhesive is exposed allowing the decal to be stuck to the blank. The top layer protects the decal and allows you to burnish the decal into place. With the decal firmly attached to the blank, the top layer is removed. Now the decal can be coated with finish. I'm guessing you have left the top layer on the decal, which is why the decal is so thick. If this is not the case, I have no idea why your decal is so thick, unless it's not designed to be a rod decal.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster