I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat prep
Posted by: David Janes (---)
Date: January 28, 2021 07:32PM

I’ve come across a few things about maybe scuffing the inside of a reel seat for install. Is this something that is recommended or over kill? Also what about metal reel seats that have channels in them? Just curious because I’ve never done it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel seat prep
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: January 28, 2021 08:51PM

You can scuff the inside of the reel seat but it is not necessary.

The most important thing is to make sure the parts to be bonded are clean and oil free.

Also it is important to have the parts fit snugly to keep the bond line as thin as possible.

We all have our comfort zones and techniques when it comes to bonding parts, if you are ever in doubt refer to the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the adhesive and proceed with care..

Have fun

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2021 09:49PM

It's important - do it. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: January 29, 2021 08:04AM

I always make a few passes with the reamer and clean the scuffed portion. Doing this gives the glue more surface to adhere to and also works in a similar fashion to stippling. It is easier to grip something that is abrasive vs something that is smooth.

Just like when reaming anything, make sure the item you reamed is debris free prior to seating.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 29, 2021 08:11AM

I recently took apart a rod that I had built many years ago before hearing the recommendation on surface prep, and some of the epoxy was hardly bonded to the blank. Some could be taken off with the thumbnail. It had not failed, but if I had skimped on the amount used, I can see where it might have. For skeleton builds where there is little surface area, I think it can really be important. I have scotchbrite in a shotgun cleaning tip which I spin with a drill driver to scuff the insides of seats. I don't know that seats have mold release in them, but most plastic parts do, and scuffing the ID is a good precaution, in my opinion. I do it for metal and plastic seats.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 29, 2021 08:56AM

David

RodMaker magazine vol. 15 issue 6 has instructions for making a "inside the seat" scuffing tool. I used a short length of a wood dowel instead of the metal rod. I chuck the tool in a drill or my lathe and turn it. Works great!

Rog

Date: January 29, 2021 10:12AM

Best mating surfaces for an adhesive bond are smooth, but de-glossed and clean.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2021 11:50AM

I have found some metal reel seats have oil or something similar inside, so I scuff and clean with DNA before assembly.

Date: January 29, 2021 12:01PM

Clean, scuff-scour then adhere. Always clean first.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: January 29, 2021 12:31PM

Scuffing may have many meanings, my conception is to gouge or rough up a smooth surface,which in my opinion is not necessary for reel seat applications.

For reel seats my idea of scuffing is to just remove the gloss (if any) from the seat and the blank with light abrading.

My process is and has never had any issues.;

1) Use a solvent DNA or Acetone,etc. to remove any oils or other contaminants. Don't want to scuff or rub in any oils or contaminants into the bonding surfaces.

2) "Scuff" just enough to remove any gloss. 400 grit or scotch bright.

3) Wipe areas with a clean rag to remove any loose residue.

4) Apply the epoxy per manufacturers recommendations..

As I said we all have our ways, this is what makes me feel comfortable,

Have fun

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 29, 2021 01:12PM

Thanks, Tom. I'm a believer. There is so much bad or mis-interpreted info out there on rod building it's good to get specific about issues like this. I have passed the Library link on to more than a few fellow builders.

Date: January 29, 2021 01:21PM

Right - surface prep is an area where there is indeed a correct answer.

Posted by: David Janes (---)
Date: January 29, 2021 06:32PM

Thank you everyone. Adding another step to my prep.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster