I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Cagey Hook Wrap Method
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 31, 2021 10:49AM

Hello Tom.

Here are all the ones I could find:
15/6 Spiral Guide Placement. By Joy Dunlap. 10
8/4 Spiral Wrap Demo Device. (Tom Kirkman). 14
3/5 Spiral Wrap For Casting Rods. 24
6/5 Spiral Wrapping, Making The Transition. 24
18/2 Spiral, A Different Way To Do It. By Chris Carrowell. 30
14/4 Revolver Rod Legacy. By Rich Forhan. 12
8/2 Guides: Simple Spiral. (Wrap-Around or Acid Wrap). By William "Bill" Colby. 16
3/4 Guides: Spiral Wrap System, Reflections, Yea or Nay? 30
There still could be more, but if there are I didn't spot them.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: February 01, 2021 12:11PM

With the benefits attributed to spiral wraps it's a wonder why they aren't used on salt water charter boats or used more by private salt water anglers? I don't see for-market tuna anglers using spiral wraps either. Are spiral wrapped rods significantly more expensive than in-line guide train rods? Funny that spirals haven't caught on where target species can weigh several hundred pounds and the benefits of a spiral wrap would be much greater than they would be fighting, say, a 14# freshwater bass.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: February 01, 2021 12:51PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
>
> There is a RodMaker issue that covers most of the
> popular ones, but even that one is about 10 years
> ago so it may be time for an update with an
> overview on all the methods.
>

That would be a great idea and much appreciated for sure!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2021 02:45PM

Most of the spiral wrapped rods I built for some 25 years were for saltwater anglers.

Date: February 01, 2021 03:21PM

Hello All.

ALL the spiral rods I have wrapped were for saltwater anglers (my first was 2007).

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: February 02, 2021 01:49PM

Robert A. Guist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Tom.
>
> Here are all the ones I could find:
> 15/6 Spiral Guide Placement. By Joy Dunlap. 10

I'd like to inquire about this entry into the lineup.

I read an old Don Morton post on this forum:

www.rodbuilding.org/read.php?2,2075,2075#msg-2075

Re: Robert's Wrap
Posted by: Don Morton (---.localaccess.net)
Date: August 25, 2001 11:11PM

"Tony, the term Robert's wrap was coined by a rod builder from FL. by the name of Joy Dunlap. Joy found out about the wrap from a fellow rod builder by the name of Roberts thus Robert's wrap..."

So what I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, but Joy Dunlap did not actually create her own method of "spiral wrapping" and that she learned directly from Chuck Roberts how he did it, and she replicated it and coined it the Robert's wrap.

So I am curious, did Joy Dunlap come up with her own method or was she just duplicating the Chuck Robert's way of doing it?

Date: February 02, 2021 03:07PM

Hello Kent.

You mean "His" own method Joy was a he, he was one of the original Dale Clemens RodCrafters Group.

He was big in the 60's-70's.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: February 02, 2021 03:24PM

He/she... never met a 'he' named Joy! Ooops!

But the point I was making was that Joy learned it from Chuck Roberts and coined it the Robert's wrap. Is this correct?

Did this Joy Dunlap create his own method of spiral wrapping distinctly different or, was Joy's method one and the same as a Robert's wrap?

I am not clear on this point. I keep reading across the web how this Joy Dunlap person learned it from Chuck Roberts and then coined the term Robert's wrap, but I can not find any information about a different and separate system of spiral wrapping tracked back to Joy Dunlap. If there is one I'd sure like to learn about it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2021 03:27PM by Kent Griffith.

Date: February 02, 2021 03:35PM

Hello Kent.

I don't remember, if Tom sees this he might remember, he did do a lot of different rods but was a lover of bamboo, and I don't recall anyone doing a spiral wrap on bamboo.

I don't think I ever met Chuck Roberts.

Did you read Joy's article?

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: February 02, 2021 03:38PM

Doing a search on this forum pulls a posted comment by Ralph O'Quinn who says it like this:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Re: History of the Robert's Wrap...
Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.pstbbs.com)
Date: May 04, 2003 06:36PM

John S. Scanlan of Chicago patented the spiral wrap in 1909. It is the only patent of record. Joy Dunlap, a rod builder of quite some reknown, learned the technique from Chuck Roberts. In deference to Chuck, Joy always marked his rods which used that wrap as "Roberts Wrap by Joy Dunlap". This most probably is where the name "Roberts Wrap" was initiated. Rightfully, the name should be "Scanlan Wrap".
I first reported this in an article in Rodmaker magazine. Volume 3 number 5.
Ralph

------------------------------------------------

Ralph clearly states Joy learned it from Chuck Roberts and marked rods he made as a Robert's Wrap made by Joy Dunlap.

In no way is there any indication that Joy Dunlap came up with his own distinctly different method which is why I am inquiring as to why the name of Joy Dunlap would be included in any list of spiral wrap history as having his own method???

As I understand it Joy Dunlap was merely building rods based on a method he learned from Chuck Roberts. So it is Chuck Roberts who belongs in the list along with a clear description of his method.

I have searched high and low for various methods and who's method it is and there is indeed a lot of conflicting information out there to be found. But nothing really definitive on the subject that I can find. A lot of he said, she said and maybe it was like this or like that type of thing. Just all over the place. And I sure wish for once it could all be correctly documented and written down once and for all time and easily referenced.

Date: February 02, 2021 03:43PM

Robert A. Guist Wrote:

>
> Did you read Joy's article?
>

No, Did not know there was one until now. And it can be found where? Is it the old Rod Crafters journals?

I am reading Dale Clemons advanced custom rod building book now that mentions Joy Dunlap and amazed at how primitive the spiral wrapping idea is in this book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2021 03:53PM by Kent Griffith.

Date: February 02, 2021 04:08PM

Hello Kent.

The list is RodMaker Magazine articles (See RodMaker Magazine, listed on the left<-).

I just got back from the head where I was rereading Joy's article.
He does state that he learned from Jack (Chuck) Roberts at a trade event in St. Louis in the 70's.
I don't remember which came first but Ralph is much more informed than I.

P.S. You can back order any of the RodMaker Magazines that are still available.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster