I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7ft medium fast black rec
Posted by: Gary Goldsmith (---)
Date: January 26, 2021 05:24PM

Looking for any recommendations on a 7ft medium fast spinning rod blank. Plan on throwing soft plastics for reds and specs inshore. Most of my builds have been in NFC blanks. Looking to expand and try something different. Thanks. Gary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7ft medium fast black rec
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 26, 2021 06:08PM

Gary, when you said "try something different" the first thing to pop into my mind was flyrod..are reds and specs fly fished? do people even fly fish for them..lol...we don,t have them up here so i don,t know..if they,re an open water fish, the fly rod has a chance..sorry, off topic a little, just curious

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2021 06:23PM

For specs and reds, in something in the same league as NFC, I'd give Point Blank a try. Jim seems to be an avid spec and red guy and I'd bet he would give you some sage advice.

I'm curious, because I have considered getting one, do you have the NFC P704-1 HM (or IM)?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 26, 2021 07:22PM

One of my favorites for reds and specks is the PB701MF. Just a great all around bass and inshore blank. It is very light and sensitive, and will throw a wide range of lures weights without any problems. Nice light top with a lot of power in the butt section in case you hook a bull red, jack or shark. I have made them up as both casting and spinning rods.
Norm

Date: January 27, 2021 07:05AM

Ben,

Yes you can. I mostly fly fish but like to bring a spinning rod for bad weather conditions.

Russ and Norm,

Thanks for the rec. I'll look at both. I'm building an NFC 705 currently, but haven't looked at the 704. The NFC website is head to navigate so I probably missed it. I'll check out point blank as well. I've never build in one.

Gary

Date: January 27, 2021 10:34AM

The CCS numbers for the PB 701MF are IP= 690 gm and AA = 78; for the NFC IM MB704 IP = 558 gm and AA = 72; for the NFC IM MB705 IP= 565 gm and AA = 71; and for the NFC HM MB 705 IP = 608 and AA = 75. All of these numbers were previously published by the manufacturers. NFC no longer have their CCS numbers listed but PB still does.
Norm

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 27, 2021 10:41AM

You will find the NFC popping blanks in the saltwater and in the classic section. They only have two powers, 703 and 704, as best as I can tell.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: January 27, 2021 08:03PM

Norm,

Can you school me on what CCS numbers are? Thanks. Gary

Date: January 27, 2021 08:53PM

Intrinsic power (IP) is the amount of weight required to deflect a blank 1/3 its total length and the Action angle (AA) is the angle the tip assumes when the blank is so deflected. Basically the IP is a relative measure of power, and the AA is a relative measure for the action of the blank. The numbers given for the above blanks indicate that the PB701MF is more powerful and has a faster action than all the NFC blanks listed. You can get more information and a better understanding by reading up on the Common cents system. [www.common-cents.info]
Norm

Posted by: Jim Doerr (---)
Date: January 27, 2021 10:20PM

I've been building on NFC 704-1 IM and 703-1 HM and love them both. I recently caught a 35# red and 29" trout on the 704...what a great rod.

I've also built several spinners on Rod Geeks C470MF. This was my favorite spinning blank until I built the NFCs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster