I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Zebco Line Guides
Posted by: Jeffrey Mullendore (---.sub-174-202-76.myvzw.com)
Date: January 26, 2021 11:43AM

Looking for some direction.

I am in the process of fixing an old rod for a friend of mine.
He uses this pole to cast heavier baits.
A couple of the line guides have broken and need to be replaced.
With this in mind I want to either get some original guides or find something that is really close to original.

Zebco Rhino
Trigger Rod Model ZRC66MH
Line 10lb-25lb
Double footed - Polished Frame - Black ceramic inserts.

As always your help is greatly appreciated.

Mully

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Zebco Line Guides
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 26, 2021 12:22PM

Jeff, you are going to have to do the homework, I imagine I am like most custom rod builders, there is no way I could keep up with all the guides used out there. I have a hard enough time keeping up with the new guide options and their uses in the custom rod arena. Rebuilds are maybe 5% of my business at the most.
Look in the American Tackle, Pacific Bay, Sea Guide, Hydra/Kigan guides, Anglers Rsrc-Fuji are good places to start, access to that info to the left. If the guide was a Fuji there will be a "F" stamped in the frame.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2021 12:25PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 26, 2021 03:46PM

Hi Jeffrey,

Maybe you want to post a pic so the guys can see what you are working with? Or better yet...click on MUDHOLE or one of the other sponsors to the left on this page and browse the guides they offer. Mudhole has a pretty extensive line.

Best of luck!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 26, 2021 05:00PM

All that really matters is that the size of the ring be about right. after that, just try to find similar shapes and finishes and they will work just fine.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 26, 2021 07:06PM

Pick out something close and change them all, you can likely use smaller guides and fewer sizes, reducing weight.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2021 08:24PM

I had one of those rods years ago. It was probably about the 2nd or 3rd rod I ever bought with my own money. I loved the double trigger rhino reel seats. Thinking back on the blank, the action and power is not all that different from some of the heavier glass cranking blanks, and dang near bullet proof. But, man was that rod overbuilt. The guide set was better suited to an offshore rod. Something like the PacBay model S guides would be in the ball park, but I think that V-frame triple foot design is nearly impossible to find these days. If it's still around it's been in storage in a damp pole building for 15 years or more (I couldn't guarantee that the guides are salvageable), but I'm pretty sure I passed it on to an acquaintance with a round casting reel that I didn't care for who was looking for a catfishing combo.

I think that rod only had about 6 guides on it, and if 2 or more are broken, it's not a ton more work to swap the rest. If it's for a truly good friend, take the time to swap the guides out for a set with a more modern selection of guide sizes. A 10 or 12 double foot followed by double foot 6s would be a huge weight reduction. Even if you don't change the spacing, it'll breath some new life into that rod. If you want to preserve the look to an extent, swap them out with the double foot v-frames and call it good.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 27, 2021 11:00PM

Jeffery,
When you come across a rod like you cite- just to yourself and your client a favor and strip the guides off the rod and simply install a new full set of guides. For a Zebco, you can pick up an inexpensive set of guides that will work well on the rod for about $10.

Cut the old guides off, clean up the rod, rewrap and recoat and you will be good to go in a short time.

I never waste time or money to try to chase out an obsolete guide. Rather, I just strip the rod of guides and replace the guides. Also, since I am just trying to restore a functional rod, I typically do not change the number of the guides.

Be safe

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 28, 2021 07:15PM

Joe, that's pretty funny about the "acquaintance", I have a few of those. Lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster