I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

feedback needed on Rainshadow RCKJB knife jigging blanks
Posted by: Michael Ward (172.58.159.---)
Date: January 26, 2021 10:08AM

Looking for some blanks to use for inland striped bass fishing pulling live bait - have been buliding on RX6/E-Glass RCLBs as well as some E-glass blanks. Looking for something that would have a bit slower action, and a soft tip than the RCLB, but more power than the E-glass - in a 7 - 7-6" range, 15-30 lb line

Wondering about the RCKJB700-112 - does anyone have feedback on this - or even better, pics of a static loading test where I can get a view of the action, etc?

thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: feedback needed on Rainshadow RCKJB knife jigging blanks
Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: January 26, 2021 10:39AM

Don't know anything about "pulling live bait" but I have 4 RCKJB's, different weights and use them for throwing jigs, slow jigging, flat fall jigging, tossing live bait and the heavy one for trolling. Great blanks, skinny and brutally strong.

Posted by: Michael Ward (172.58.159.---)
Date: January 26, 2021 11:42AM

Grant - thanks for the feedback - we "pull Iive bait" - but slow trolling (trolling motor) from 0.5 to 1.5 mph with small alewife, gizzard & threadfin shad from 4" to 12" or so - free/light lined or behind in-line planer boards.... rods are in the rod holder so sensitivity is not critical - but a "soft" tip so that the striper does not feel the rod immediately if its not fully committed, is ideal...

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2021 06:35PM

Which RCLB's are you using? I'd be surprised if a vertical jigging blank had a softer tip than a live bait blank. But hey, I haven't felt the RCKJB blanks.

I use the RCLB80XL for free lining live bait. The tip is so soft I wouldn't consider bottom fishing with it. Yet it will cast 2 ounces no problem and Doc Ski landed a Marlin on one. I consider it just right for 17#. I fish 30# on my RCLB70ML and that tip isn't near as soft.

You might consider their RDR line, but you be getting into longer blanks.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 27, 2021 02:41PM

Is there a reason they have to be so short? Options open up once you go two piece, west coasters have been pulling bait a long time with them, and it gives you a greater spread on your baits. Russ made some great suggestions.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.sip.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 28, 2021 05:31PM

thanks guys... Russ - I've built a few on RCLB79L and 70L, and actually have some 70XL's somewhere between the west coast and east coast in the blurr of the USPS.... good to hear your feedback on the XL.....

Spencer - with this type of fishing we'll pull 6-10 (sometimes more) rods - and most guys have historically used $30-$40 Ugly Stik Striper rods due to the cost point of outfitting... those are 7' so its just what everyone has always done... and for whatever reason there is resistance to 2 piece rods - but I understand what you're saying about more spread....

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2021 12:35AM

Lamiglas has made two blanks for stripers casting or trolling primarily with Long A/Husky Jerk type cranks. I have caught bass to 40 lbs though I wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis, they use the Triflex construction method and you can see the gold glass to graphite transition. I bought one to use when I was stationed in Oakland and since leaving the service my stepdad has used it to catch steelhead and spring Chinook in the Columbia River. If you need more power they make them in a wide range of line/lure weights, but they color them black.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster