I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stupid Newbee Question???
Posted by: Roy Bertalotto (---)
Date: January 25, 2021 09:35PM

What is a "Winding Check"?

What does it do?

RoyB
South of Boston

Re: Stupid Newbee Question???
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: January 25, 2021 10:15PM

A aluminum or rubber ring slipped onto the blank from the tip. It sits next to the top of the grip and acts as a trim ring between the butt wrap and the grip.
Herb

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 26, 2021 12:27AM

Roy,
There is no such thing as a stupid question; only ignorance is stupid! Herb is certainly correct. Winding checks can be used to cover the gap of a grip which was reamed too much or simply as an additional trim accent; they are not required. However, they also require close-fitting to avoid a gap, add weight and cost as well; personally, I do not use them but looking at the supplier catalogs, many builders obviously do.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 26, 2021 07:40AM

The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked!

I have an article in this months Rod Builder Magazine in regards to "Rapid Prototyping" (RP) and how I use it in my builds. I'm also a sponsor for this site, Banana River Rods.

I make my own winding checks, along with my patented "Hook Keeper".

If you or anyone is interested in adding a truly custom part to your builds, I would love to speak with you. I RP winding checks, handles, even tools for wrapping rods.

Here are a couple reference photos below of some of the parts that I Rapid Prototype.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Tony Boschi
Banana River Rods
Merritt Island, Florida
321~525~1063

* Rapid Prototyping Services
* Custom Beach Rods
* Custom Inshore Rods

[bananariverrods.com]

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 26, 2021 08:58AM

As said above the winding check is intended to cover the gap between the blank and the fore grip.

If you carefully fit the grip to the blank a winding check is not needed. However, a winding check can add some decorative appeal to the rod and can be used whether there is a gap or not.

The winding check does not contribute to the structural integrity of the rod and is an optional accessory.

Have fun

Posted by: Danny Smith (---)
Date: January 26, 2021 01:32PM

It's not a stupid question if you don't know the answer. I had to look it up a while back. They can ne very handy, but I rarely use them. I use the epoxy to fill in any small gas at the rod butt.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 26, 2021 04:51PM

Roy, Lots of great things are found here, one is an extensive glossary top right. The library is very informative, as is the extensive and varied posted subjects found in the search function.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 26, 2021 06:23PM

Toni,
Give me a break! LOL. I just got a used lathe and thoroughly enjoy all the things I can fabricate with it (wish I would have gotten one 50 years ago). Now you’re telling me I need a 3D printer as well. Thanks for sharing a couple photos = really nice stuff; I could possibly start using winding checks.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 27, 2021 08:29AM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Toni,
> Give me a break! LOL. I just got a used lathe and
> thoroughly enjoy all the things I can fabricate
> with it (wish I would have gotten one 50 years
> ago). Now you’re telling me I need a 3D printer
> as well. Thanks for sharing a couple photos =
> really nice stuff; I could possibly start using
> winding checks.

Mark,

You know how you CAN'T machine a square, inside of a circle, inside of a square? You CAN Rapid Prototype it though!

I also have access to a Markforged "Metal Printer" and have made my patented "Hook Keeper" out of 316 Stainless! It is a little "weighty" though, so I prefer the RP parts.

I started out making the Rapid Prototyped winding checks for my inshore rods, and that turned into making winding checks for my beach rods, then I made a special RP part that acts as an "arbor" for my beach rod reel seats, and from there, it took off! I have a photo in the link below showing the parts I made to assist in making my "Cape Canaveral Rocket" beach rods! I make the butt caps as well to close out the paracord I wrap my handles with and can even make the end a "gimbal" for a rod holder.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Hopefully in the next issue or so, I will have another article published (Tom Willing!) that will show how I made a few Rapid Prototyped "Tools" that I also use in all my builds. In the previous issue, Volume 23, Issue 6, My "Rapid Prototyping" article showed how I use RP parts for building rods.

By the way, I have full capabilities to offer any assistance in Rapid Prototyping most anything your heart desires!... I also offer design assistance .... I'm the whole package, baby!

By the way, I don't need a lathe as my brother has a machine shop in Maryland so he does all my "R&D" work for me, for a "minimal" cost, NEVER FOR FREE, because he's a jerk!!!! LOL!!!

Tony Boschi
Banana River Rods
Merritt Island, Florida
321~525~1063

* Rapid Prototyping Services
* Custom Beach Rods
* Custom Inshore Rods

[bananariverrods.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster