I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Internal ferrule for broken male section
Posted by: Audun Lange (---.92-221-195.customer.lyse.net)
Date: January 24, 2021 06:49AM

I have an old 9'5#, where the bottom male section broke many years ago.
A local rod builder tried to fix this by inserting an internal ferrule, but without success. There was still a crack in the blank.
I have cut the blank two inches, planning to get a better internal ferrule.
I wonder:
- Where to find supplies for such ferrules
- What should the internal length be (the unsuccessful was only an inch - while the original plug was much longer)
- What to be aware of when doing this as a first-timer.

- Occasional amateur rod wrapper -

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Internal ferrule for broken male section
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 24, 2021 04:28PM

Audun,
It is unfortunate you cut 2in off the butt section; due to the taper of the blank, you are now left with a step between the two sections. I have designed a method of fabricating tubular, tapered FG ferrules called CARL (Constant Arc Rod Link). While it was intended to utilize the UNCUT blank itself as the mold, the process could possibly be modified to suit you scenario. See the link below and consult me if you care to do so.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 28, 2021 12:25AM

Audun,
Are you still there? Did I scare you off?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Audun Lange (---.92-221-195.customer.lyse.net)
Date: January 28, 2021 05:34AM

No, not at all :-)
Thanks for the contribution!
I have actually browsed thru previous materials on this in forum and photos.
I see the possibilities in having an external ferrule , as described.
In my case, the lower section had a crack in the blank. It was necessary to get rid of this.
I cut off two inches, enough to get rid of the crack and get a clean undamaged bottom section.
The once fitted ferrule was easy to detach from the broken part, and there was still a snug fit with the lower section after removing two inches of this.
There was two clear shortcomings in the job done by a presumable professional: there was still a crack in the blank, and the rod bond for the ferrule was poor.
He must have recognised this as he did refuse any payment for the effort.
I have fitted the ferrule. It looks good. Once I have secured this with the enforcement of a refitted guide, I will test what impact this has on the rod action.
Sure it will not be like the original rod, but with a top action rod, I guess it will becom a fairly ok 8'10, not the fabulous 9'0 it once was.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster