I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The Addiction begins! New to Forum
Posted by: Roy Bertalotto (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 23, 2021 03:31PM

Thanks for letting me join this great resource!

A bunch of years ago I built a couple fishing rods......Haven't built one since. My 40yo son decided he wants to take up fishing. So instead of buying him a rod. I decided top buy a kit from Jann's Netcraft and build him one. I used the cardboard box method to wind the thread and an old BBQ motor to dry the epoxy. It came out rather nice!

And the bug hit!

I just put in an order at Mudhole for a few blanks and a bunch of supplies......

But I wanted to build my own wrapping machine.

I have a bunch of motors in the shop but a 800W / 36V DC motor got the nod. It was originally bought to convert a Honda Trail 90 to electric. But the Honda was just too nice to butcher so I reconditioned it to its original gas motor.

So I have the motor, the DC controller and the "gas pedal" ........I'm going to run it off a DC power supply I currently have.

Today I built and installed the chuck on the motor....and modified a few "No-Mar" casters I had hanging around by removing the wheel and slitting them in half on the lathe. Nice soft rubber to touch the pole.

That's it for today......More to follow!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Addiction begins! New to Forum
Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: January 23, 2021 03:44PM

Cool! I am doing the same with a trolling motor! Someone just gave me a MotorGuide 71 digital saltwater version- with completely smoked electronics as usual. So I rewired the motor, bypassed the smoked electronics and relays and wired direct to the brushes. And now I am using a similar to yours but bigger variable speed pulse width modulated power supply with reverse switch. Rated at 70A and 0 to 60 volts is perfect for this 24 volt motor I am rebuilding now with all new seals. Total cost out of pocket so far about $20. And I am presently looking for a used guitar wah wah type of pedal so I can install the correct potentiometer and use the wah wah pedal for my custom trolling motor speed control.

They simply do not build these trolling motors to last in saltwater. They intentionally used a metal in the motor shaft seals that rusts. They could have avoided this but did not on purpose. So the new seals I am installing have plastic inserts that saltwater can never harm. And, when I looked at the MOSFETS in the chinese power supply, they used a hodge podge of mismatched MOSFETS, so I am considering replacing all of them with matched MOSFETS and with increased current capacity before installing it in the boat. Love playing with motors and electronics, so what you are doing is interesting to me.

Can't beat a 71lb thruster for free! And what you are doing is awesome as well. Nothing like homemade and custom. Welcome to the forum!

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread with other projects... so bring it back around with your updates and I'll keep mine out of it! lol The things we have to do just to go fishing... look at these motor seals! Destroyed with saltwater... so why did Motorguide use rustable metal KNOWING this would happen? Built in obsolescence.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2021 07:11PM by Kent Griffith.

Date: January 23, 2021 04:22PM

Love the HiJack! I have an old trolling motor I was going to use also. Great minds think alike. But this set up was much more controllable with the foot pedal. The motor is 36V and it will not operate with anything under 31.5V.....Luck would have it that my variable power supply , rated at 30V, actually does 31.5! Perfect! Lots of torque and can go down real slow. I installed a bolt in the foot pedal to limit the top speed. You can see it in the picture. I'm sure, once I'm using it, too fast will become an issue.

Keep us informed on your build

RoyB
South of Boston

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 23, 2021 07:00PM

Roy and Kent,
I am surprised Roger Wilson has not joined your party yet; the three of you are like peas in a pod = you’ll have great fun.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 24, 2021 02:04PM

Got up early and continued the wrapper build....

RoyB
South of Boston

Date: January 24, 2021 04:08PM

I just ordered a 110V to 36V DC / 5A power supply so I don't have to use the variable PS......$14 on Amazon!

RoyB
South of Boston

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster