I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Neon Yellow NCP/Colorfast or non-NCP???
Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---)
Date: January 23, 2021 11:30AM

My friend wants me to build him a trolling rod with bright colors and he's insisting on neon yellow. I've searched through previous posts and I'm concerned about color fade. I've never worked with neon thread before. Question: Have any of you noticed any difference in fade resistance between NCP/colorfast or non-NCP? Any particular brand more fade resistant? Anything I can do in he way of coatings to prolong the color? The blank is slate gray- should I paint portions of the blank white (or other color) to brighten the yellow? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2021 12:02PM by Daniel Grundvig.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Neon Yellow NCP/Colorfast or non-NCP???
Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: January 23, 2021 01:51PM

Yellow by its nature is going to fade - look at yellow cars after a couple years or so. Neon Orange could be a better option if he'd like that.

Pigment or powder paint can be added to the thread finish to make the neon wraps much brighter.

I haven't used their neon yellow, but Mudhole's neon green in plain or NCP is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the bright color shown in the catalog or on their site, so Fuji or another brand may be better.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 23, 2021 02:46PM

I paint three guides worth of my rod "tip watched" rods international orange, seems to hold up better then the neons do, then put on the guides.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 23, 2021 04:04PM

Daniel,
Whether NCP or regular nylon, any light colored thread will “muddy-out” over a dark base, obviously more so with regular nylon. Especially if your trolling is for off-shore, under-wrapping with the same light color will help considerably to retain the color of the over-wraps. While there will always be a continual debate on the pros and cons of under-wraps, they certainly will not harm anything on a heavy powered trolling rod.
Most, if not all, brands of thread finish contain UV additives to HELP retain the color of the underlying thread. However, ultimately in the end, UV will win; you can’t fool Mother Nature!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 23, 2021 04:43PM

I have rods that I used Neon Yellow in regular nylon on and with two coats of Flex Coat color preserver they still look stunning even after heavy use.

Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---)
Date: January 23, 2021 06:16PM

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm going to incorporate some of these suggestions and since this rod will be used fresh water only with infrequent/light use, the color may just outlast the old fart (this old fart too)...lol

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: January 29, 2021 09:26AM

I made a surf rod three years ago with neon Green Fuji NOCP and it hasn't faded a bit. Passer bys always comment on that rod, and i always have three or four rods out and they zero in on that one. People love bright colors. So do I. I wrapped it over a black rod and it would have even been brighter had I put an under wrap under it, but it still looks good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster