I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrules
Posted by: Don Tyson (---.s10320.c3-0.eas-cbr4.atw-eas.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: January 22, 2021 10:40PM

As a new rod builder I am wondering if someone might take me through the process of cutting and installing ferrules.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrules
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 22, 2021 11:42PM

Don,
I am uncertain exactly to what you are referring concerning “cutting… ferrules”. I am willing and can possibly help you given more details.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: January 23, 2021 05:35PM

Are you building a bamboo rod? Glass or graphite rod blanks will come with ferrules intact and you would not want to cut into them in any way.

Posted by: Don Tyson (---.s10320.c3-0.eas-cbr4.atw-eas.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: January 23, 2021 08:12PM

Hello Gentlemen,
I am wondering if I can buy a one piece blank and place two set of ferrules into the rod to make a three piece rod? Is it possible to cut a one piece or is there allot more to it? I want to build a rod that will fit into my suitcase when I travel. Rather than buy any number of cheap Chinese rods I want tjobuild my own to how I want. I've done two fly rods and loved the process and the result. Now I'm looking at doing it for a vintage spin cast Johnson reel.
Anyway I though it good to ask before getting in too deep.
Don

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 23, 2021 08:24PM

Contact Mark Talmo, his CARL ferrules work extremely well. He sent me a rod that he ferruled to try. It worked very well, and I even caught a few fish on it before sending it back to him.
Norm

Date: January 23, 2021 08:37PM

Here is the thread Mark posted almost 4 yrs ago concerning the construction of his CARL ferrules.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Norm

Date: January 24, 2021 04:01PM

Thanks, Norman; you beat me to it.
Don, your project is a perfect candidate for two sets of CARL ferrules. If you are interested, contact me for updates to the build process I have adopted since that article was written.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 24, 2021 05:47PM

There are some multi-piece blanks out there. Not sure if they'd fit. Be a lot less work.

Date: January 24, 2021 09:26PM

I have no experience with installing ferrules but I do have some experience with molding and fitting epoxy (boatbuilding) and I suck at it. I'm not a very delicate man and was hoping for conventional metal ferrules whereby after measuring them I can slip then over or in and move on to wrapping on the guides. I'm building a cheap 5 1/2 or 6 ' spincast rod and the reason I want a three piece is so that will fit into my suitcase when I travel. Doesn't need to be modern or pretty. It does need to be sturdy and convincing looking. I'm not comfortably making the CARL style but I can see why one would want to learn for professionally built rods. I'm just a simple fisherman that builds his own simple rigs and I love it.
Now with this discussion with you folks I have found out that I could potentially buy a one piece rod and cut it into three pieces and install ferrules. Are metal ferrules still relatively inexpensive and easy to install?

Date: January 24, 2021 11:08PM

Installing metal ferrules is not very difficult. You just need to make sure your measurements are relatively precise so you can order the correct sizes needed. Remember, measure twice cut once. You can use a hot melt tip top cement to glue the ferrules to the blank. The hot melt cement works quite well and if anything ever goes wrong with the ferrule it is easy to remove. As an alternative, you can use a five minute epoxy. The trouble with metal ferrules is that they are heavy and take the life out of the rod, making it feel clunky and adds flat spots to the rod’s bend. This is one of the reasons you rarely see metal ferruled rods any more. As an alternative, If you have have a supply of old or broken rods, you may be able to find pieces of old blanks that have a taper that will snuggly fit over your blank where it needs to be cut. You want to use pieces from a lower modulus graphite or fiber glass blanks because they will give a smoother curve with out introducing a flat spot. Pieces from a high modulus rod, may create a stiff or flat spot In the rod’s curve when flexed. This is a tip over butt sleeve type of ferrule. You want the overlap to be at least 1.5” to 2.5” on either side of the cut. The sleeves would be epoxied to the tip section, and the epoxy cleaned from the inside of the female ferrule. You may need to trim a little bit from the male portion in order to get a good fill and to allow for wear over time. The ferrule should be wrapped and finished to help prevent any splitting. Again you need to make accurate measurements taking into account the amount of overlap, to keep each section the same length. It not a simple procedure but it does work very well. I have made a number of multiple piece rods using these sleeve type of ferrules, back at the time the only other option was metal ferrules. As I mentioned the major problem is having a stash of old and/or broken rods. I have a lot of old and broken rods but most people don’t. The other alternative is to try the CARL ferrule.
Norm

Date: January 25, 2021 12:02AM

2X Norman’s reply.

Mark Talmo

Date: January 25, 2021 12:13PM

Thanks Folks. I am collecting broken rods as I go. At this point if the broken rod's Identity is missing, think hollow fiberglass or graphite, then there is no point in saving it. I now have one broken rod.
I do see all these types as being a viable direction to go vs brass ferrules but I'm not there yet. Someday maybe. Only a year ago I swore I'd never tie flies and I'd never rewrap my favorite vintage rods and now I regularly do both. A few months ago I started collecting small Johnson spincasters and this rod will be used for panfish with one of these reels mounted on them. Brass/chrome will be fine considering the entry level goals and the fact that Grandchildren are likely to step on them.

Date: January 25, 2021 12:13PM

Thanks Men. I am collecting broken rods as I go. At this point if the broken rod's Identitiy is missing, think Hollow fiberglass of Graphite, then there is no point in saving it.
I do see all these types as being a viable direction to go brass ferrules but I'm not there yet. Someday maybe. Only a year ago I swore I'd never tie flies and I'd never rewrap my favorite vintage rods and now I regularly do both. A few months ago I started collecting Small Johnson Spincasters and this rods will be used for panfish with these reels on them. Brass/chrome will be fine considering the goals.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 25, 2021 08:03PM

Schneider's has metal ferrules on the hot specials page.

Date: January 25, 2021 10:17PM

Today I ordered the Rod. As I'm waiting for the delivery I want to make sure I understand how to measure for and order the ferrules.

When I cut the rod must I make upper the length by cutting the difference off?

Thanks for introducing me to the Schneiders Site.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster